SASS Reloads

M2HMGHB

Not sure whether to put the post here or in reloading. Anyways I'm going to be loading up some loads for cowboy action shooting and wanted to know what everyone uses, what velocity is recomended etc. Thanks in advance.

Well there is always black powder! I fill the case of my .44-40s and that turns out to be around 33 gr. Sure is fun seeing all that smoke!

Howdy Pard. :)
In case you are totally new to cas ammo,lead bullets only...or moly coated.
Most pards load real light for muzzle control,and there are many powders that will come in about four grains,plus or minus.
What bullet weight are you thinking? 125's are popular for pistols,most rifles feed 158's a tad better.
to keep things simple,one powder for both cartridges is a great idea,IMHO.
Example: you can load both weights of bullets with 3.7 gr. of Titegroup and have a load that will work for either weight bullet.DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT,PLS. VERIFY BEFORE USING MY DATA.
I got this data from the LaserCast manual.FYI.
Cowboy shoots are a HOOT!!

I use Titegroup for both the 125's (pistol) and the 158's (rifle). Many powders will work. American Select is gaining popularity. 231, Bullseye, 700X, and others are old standards. Loading for SASS isn't complicated. I go for reliability first since ammo problems hurt your score more than anything else. As already mentioned, most loads are light. Some cowpersons are starting to use magnum primers, presumably for better ignition of the small charges.

For .38 and .357 both, I use 3.5 grains of Titegroup and either a Lyman 356637 (147 grain BB RFN, a 9mm bullet really, but I had hundreds of 'em on hand.) or an Ideal 358416 (158 grain RFN). In .45 Colt, I use 5.5 grains of Titegroup and a Lyman 454190 (250 grain RFN). I haven't come up a CAS load for .44-40 yet, but I'm working on it.

In that relatively big .357 case, 3.5 grains of powder isn't much. I don't use any filler, and I haven't had any problems so far. (fingers crossed)

Good to see some familiar pards posting here. Howdy Mort and Jbar and Gary. Sorry can't help with the 38 Loads as I shoot .45 Colt Blackpowder for my SASS loads.

I've been useing 3.2 gr of Titegroup behind 96 gr moly bullets for pistol and the same charge behind 125 gr. moly for rifle.
I have been extremely please with the accuracy of the loads, but that could change in other peoples weapons.
I am absolutely thrilled with the evenness of the powder charge. I load using a Dillon 650 and check about every 40-50 rounds. Each one is right on the money. And I rarely see a difference from one batch to another, but there is sone and you should check.
Lastly, the Titegroup is about the most inexpensive powder I can find.

Back