SARCO Is in Big Trouble

thallub

Am working on a short term job in NJ. Read in The Daily Record where NJ is trying to yank the gun dealers license of SARCO. They are claiming that SARCO was lax on security and this led to the theft of a lot of guns.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080405/COMMUNITIES25/804050337/1203

"Sarco Inc., one of the nation's largest suppliers of firearms and parts, was given a 30-day extension of its license Friday to sell merchandise from its Long Hill warehouse while a hearing into alleged lax security measures is pending.

"Superior Court Judge Salem Vincent Ahto, sitting in Morristown, on Friday granted a second license extension to Sarco owner Charles Steen, whose family runs the wholesale and retail firearms business from a warehouse on Union Street in the Stirling section of Long Hill. The business has a large mail-order parts component and an inventory of 40,000 firearms that mostly are military collectibles and historic firearms.

New Jersey State Police have recommended that Sarco's license to sell not be renewed, and Ahto originally agreed to deny the renewal based upon confidential reports he received of guns being stolen from the premises."

Strange owner

So this viable business does not seem to think that having its inventory stolen is a problem. They claim to have 40,000 firearms on hand but they don't worry about theft or burgulary. Hum!

"According to Long Hill police reports, the disappearance of numerous handguns from Sarco have been reported from Aug. 31, 2005, to January 2007. The last report of the theft of "numerous firearms" totaling $14,000 was made on Jan. 10, 2007" ttp://www.dailyrecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080405/COMMUNITIES25/804050337/1203

Ah, SARCO...never understood why they didnt move years and years ago...ain't like Charley doesnt have the money.

Bet his property alone down there near NJ horse country is worth millions....almost as ritzy in the neighborhood as Beverly Hills....

It's an instittuion in the gun world...like Gun Parts Corp (Numrich) and a reminder of more halcyon days when you could buy a milsurp for $10 through the mail.....

My first visit there was in the 60s IIRC...memories, memories *insert teary eyed nostalgia smilie here*

WildseeihaveahearttooAlaska ™

PS...of course, they never have been too organized and perhaps it's catching up to them

Well they're always welcome in Pennsylvania - they're not too far from the state border.

"numerous firearms" totaling $14,000,
along with a pattern of thefts dating to 2005 sounds like it could be someone on the inside.

I'm a little relieved.

It sounds like maybe they only hired a few bad apples.

When I first saw the title of the thread, I figured that the BATFE made something up and pounced on them.

I hope things work out for the guy. I don't wish any harm on him.

But I am reluctant to support him. I bought a rifle there once, and the guy seemed to be annoyed that I was bothering him. If he wanted to read his paper in peace, why not do so in one of the offices and have someone else at the front counter?

My question is, where does Jersey get off trying to pull SARCO's FFL? FFL issues aren't in their jurisdiction. That's what the first F says to me. Or is this just Jersey trying to pull their state business license?

along with a pattern of thefts dating to 2005 sounds like it could be someone on the inside.

It was a former employee who was caught in AZ and plead guilty IIRC.

So this viable business does not seem to think that having its inventory stolen is a problem.

I'll see if I can find the article, but basically he didn't see it as a problem to not renew his license since he was following security procedures established and recommended by the State Police, the same State Police who recommended he not be renewed due to a lack of security:rolleyes:

multiple times

to me a place that has been broken into multiple times does not have an effective security plan. Or they do not want to have a strong security system so they can have things disappear now and then.

Back