Sarah Brady's statement regarding HUD lawsuit

MissileCop

We are very pleased and encouraged that public housing authorities are considering possible litigation against the gun industry. Public housing authorities and their residents suffer great harm—in dollars and deaths—as a result of the gun industry’s failure to take even nominal steps to keep guns out of the wrong hands, and they have a clear legal right to seek relief in the courts. As legal counsel for most of the cities and counties involved in these lawsuits, we believe that this latest development will only add further weight and momentum to the ongoing effort to stop the loss of lives and public tax dollars that results from the irresponsible conduct of the industry.

Since the saying is that "Mondays Suck", I figured we'd get this drivel out of the way now. I want us all to be able to enjoy the rest of our week. More mindless rot lacking the intervention of logic.

Misslecop,

Greetings my friend. Hope all is well.

I read about this too. Clearly, without those baneful, ubiquitous guns, and with a little extra public assistance, every resident of these housing units would be in full-steam pursuit of happiness -- going after medical, law and engineering degrees -- two parent households (at least the same % as is present in the public generally) painstakingly nuturing their kids to be good and responsible citizens -- no drugs, no teenage pregnancies, no truancy, none of the maladies caused by guns and poverty. A virtual Lake Wobegon.

The following article analyzes the likely outcome of such a lawsuit.

Best regards,
Oscar

Yale Professor Says Gun Lawsuit May Have Harmful Effects

(CNSNews.com) - A criminal justice expert and author of the best selling book More Guns, Less Crimes argues that a possible lawsuit by public housing authorities against gun manufacturers may do more harm than good.

Dr. John Lott told CNSNews.com, "I think these suits are going to result in more deaths rather than fewer deaths. . . . It's an abuse of the legal system."

President Clinton, during a White House news conference last Wednesday, said the public housing authority litigation against gunmakers has a good grounding in fact.

"There are 10,000 gun crimes every year in the largest public housing authorities.
They spend a billion dollars on security and I think it's important that the American people know that they (public housing authorities) are not asking for money from the gun manufacturers, they are seeking a remedy to try to help solve the problem," Clinton said.

But, Lott believes such lawsuits are going to worsen the crime situation in America's public housing projects.

"Poor people who live in high crime urban areas like these public housing units benefit the most from having the option to be able to protect themselves. . . . Raising the price of guns through these suits is merely going to be price those people out of the market for being able to defend themselves," said Lott.

"The question I have for him (Clinton) is what advice does he give to someone who's living in one of these poor, high crime areas. What are they supposed to do when they are confronted by a criminal and there's no police around?" Lott said.

Clinton also said irresponsible marketing practices by gunmakers should be stopped as well.

"One company advertised an assault weapon by saying that it was hard to get fingerprints from. You don't have to be all broke out with brilliance to figure out what the message is there." Clinton did not say what company was using selling assault weapons using such a sales pitch.

Lott called Clinton's comment a "complete distortion."

"They say that fingerprint oil is easily removed from the gun . . . otherwise the metal on the gun can rust, " Lott said.

Another thing public housing authorities are looking for in the suit, according to Clinton, is "some safety design changes. We have a lot of gun manufacturers in this country who have been, I think, immensely responsible. If you remember a majority of gun manufacturers signed on to our proposal for child trigger locks. I still would like legislation to cover them all."

More legislation, according to Lott, would be counterproductive.

"This constant haranguing on deaths involving children greatly exaggerates in people minds what the true risks are. In 1996, for children under the age of 10, there were 8 accidental handgun deaths in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). There were 21 for children under the age of 15. If you compare it to the number of guns that are owned in America compared to other risks that are in the home, guns are extremely safe, as far as having to worry about actual gun deaths," Lott told CNSNews.com.

Lott thinks there are "more children under age 5 who die from drowning in waterbuckets than you have children under the age of 15 who die from accidental handgun shots. You have 40 children a year who die from drowning in 5 gallon waterbuckets under age 5. You have 80 children a year under age 5 who drown in bathtubs around the home."

[This message has been edited by Oscar (edited December 13, 1999).]

I'm sorry to say that I've known several other people like Sarah Brady. People who got hurt in some way, became frustrated, and decided to make someone (in her case, us. ) pay. It doesn't matter who pays, as long as SOMEONE pays. I think that she is motivated by hate. Brady runs on half-truths and outright lies. IMHO, she is fueled by hate. She may be one of those people who are insane, but are able to function in our society.

Will

Oscar,
Greetings, friend. I hadn't come across any of your posts for awhile, and had started wondering where you were. Hope you're enjoying your Sig.
Interesting article. Of course, it makes sense, so the anti's won't be able to follow the logic. No emotionalism, no interest.
I got into it with a lady on another bulletin board the other night. Hit her with the facts and where to find them. My, the FBI's Uniform Crime Report shuts them down quick. :)
As we all know, it's the GUNS fault for all the crime in public housing. Heaven forbid the government actually hold themselves accountable and say that they made a mistake. Won't happen in my lifetime.

Well, HUD could quit renting to criminals, they could make the security contractors do their jobs, and they could quit violating the civil rights of the law-abiding tenants who chose to arm themselves, while coming down hard on those who do crimes with guns, i.e. do something that might actually produce some results and improve the quality of life, but noooooo, we need more laws and blame everyone/thing but the diks that do the deeds. Just proud to be a taxpayer. M2

Judge Douglas says a mouthful. Washington Times.
http://208.246.212.80/op-ed/smith-19991216.htm

December 16, 1999

HUD misfires
Kenneth D.Smith

He was in a hurry to store his gun because he had friends coming over. But in his haste, the 23-year-old Massachusetts man pulled the trigger of his weapon while it was pointing at his abdomen and shot himself into an estimated $35,000 in medical bills and permanent disability. Under the circumstances, he did what any normal victim would do these days: sue someone. He went to court to accuse the gun manufacturer of negligence and of selling him a defective product.

At trial in federal district court, it emerged that the gun maker had in fact supplied him with copious warnings that, stretched end to end, approximated the length of the Oxford English Dictionary (“Never point your pistol at anything you do not intend to shoot,” and so on), but he hadn’t bothered to read them. As a general rule, he acknowledged, the only product literature he read had to do with programming his VCR. Further the plaintiff had used the weapon twice at a shooting range where it worked “fine,” according to his own testimony.

Federal Judge Douglas Woodlock threw the case out in 1996, dismissing some of the complaint as “frivolous” and flatly rejecting the rest. But he also spoke to a much larger constitutional issue. “It is the province of legislative or authorized administrative bodies,” he said, “and not the judicial branch, to advance through democratic channels policies that would directly or indirectly either 1) ban some classes of handguns or 2) transform firearm enterprises into insurers against misuse of their products. Frustration at the failure of legislatures to enact laws sufficient to curb handgun injuries is not adequate reason to engage the judicial forum in efforts to implement a broad policy change.”

Comes now a very frustrated Clinton administration to establish just such a forum. Having watched as gun makers survive case after case in which persons testing the limits of Darwinian theory do astonishing and terrible things to themselves with guns, having watched as state and federal lawmakers failed to arrest and outlaw the gun industry as a consequence, President Clinton has asked the Department of Housing and Urban Development to prepare a lawsuit against the industry that would, in effect, force it to change the way it markets and sells its products. By bringing suit through this country’s more than 3,000 government housing authorities, the administration hopes to overwhelm the industry with litigation beyond its means to defend and force it to the bargaining table with some 28 cities and counties that have already brought suit against gun makers — so far with little success. The tobacco industry “voluntarily” agreed to burn itself — by raising prices and reducing marketing of its products — under just such pressure, something the courts or Congress had refused to compel up to that point.

One would have thought that, as Judge Woodlock put the matter, forcing an otherwise legal firearms industry to change its job description to get into the insurance business or to get out of certain product lines would be something better done through democratic channels, that is, congressional lawmakers. Up until recently, making laws was Congress’ job, not the president’s. No more. “I think we have enormously important public policy goals,” White House spokesman Joe Lockhart said, “and if the Republicans, who control Congress, want to block sensible gun control . . . we will find a way to do it.”

The administration’s list of demands is not short. Among other things, it wants the industry to stop selling guns to “bad apples,” retailers who have a habit of selling guns to criminals. Mr. Clinton says that only 1 percent of federally licensed firearms dealers sell 50 percent of the guns linked to crime and traced by the Department of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF). One wonders why the Clinton administration is still licensing such gun dealers if they are so bad. By law, gun makers can sell only to licensed dealers. The ATF need only strip them of their licenses to put them out of business. But apparently the agency brings the same measure of skill to that task as it does to raiding religious groups in Waco, Texas. Is that why the administration is asking the industry to do ATF’s job?

Another proposal is to limit gun sales to one per buyer per month. Such a law is already in effect in Virginia. Though it may seem a reasonable restriction to non-gun owners, the question is what the next restriction will be: one gun per year? Moreover, there is no evidence that the law has made Virginia or federal housing projects any safer. What is working there is Project Exile, a gun-control regime that works by putting persons using guns illegally in federal prison for five years or more. Mr. Clinton once endorsed the program, which has quickly caught on around the country, but knows it won’t win him any applause at Democratic fund-raisers or his wife’s Senate campaign. So he no longer mentions it.

A better target for the lawsuit would be the agency that has allowed government “housing” to fester in a never-ending cycle of crime and decay — HUD — and the big city mayors whose policies have made their streets safe for gun-toting thugs. Like the sad plaintiff above, they have wounded themselves grievously through their own reckless disregard for sound strategy and now seek to cast blame elsewhere. Here’s hoping their efforts are equally successful.

E-mail: smithk@twtmail.com

Back