Sanding black phosphate off a Glocks slide ?

JMack

I have a pretty beat looking G23 with the black wearing off in a bunch of places. At first I was thinking of getting it hard chromed but then I started hearing that the tennifer finish under the black is much harder than Chrome and I should stick with that.

I have been advised that by taking some fine sandpaper and a little oil I could sand the black right off the slide and get a nice bright polished (stainless steal) looking color on the slide.

I am sure their is people out there who have done this but I just want to make sure its an OK thing to do, I carry a G27 so this 23 will be mainly a range gun.

If anyone here has done this I would love to hear any tricks you may have used along the way when doing this.

It sure will feel wierd having a two toned Glock!

Thanks a million,
~Jason

Thanks just4fun,

My post is mainly geared towards finding the best way to sand the black phosphate color off my G23s slide myself and then polishing the steal to a mirror finish.

For the polishing I am going to try Simichrome but I just want to do the sanding in the best way possible, I am just wondering how I am going to get into all those little cracks & grooves on the slide.

A fellow GlockTalker told me this is something that some of the GSSF guys do from time to time and it looks great.

Wish I had a pick of a Glock that has had this done.

~Jason

Well,

Last night I went home and sanded the slide first with med. paper and then fine and to be honest the gun looks great!

Tonight I am going to try and buff it a little with some simichrome polish to see if it will brighten it up to a mirror finish.

Keep you posted and will post a picture soon.

~Jason

JMack...I'm truly interested in the result...when you post the pic, could you send a copy to a-ronara@microsoft.com ? I might not be able to check this thread as often as i like. Thanks.

Thumper,

You will be the first I send it to.

Let me tell you, I have not even done the finishing polish yet and the gun looks great, doen not look like a do it yourself job by any means.

Tonight I am going to use some simichrome and polish it to a mirror finish, I think this is going to look unbeleivable.

My biggest fear was harming the metal/tennifer when sanding off the black but the black came right off without a hitch and the metal looks unscathed. You cant even notice the little scrape marks that you would expect from using sand paper. After I polish it I am sure it will look great.

~Jason

Thanks...did you leave the impressed areas (markings, slide serrations...) black? I had an NP3'd G19 a few years back from Robar that looked like what I suspect your glock looks like now. I wish I wouldn't have gotten rid of that gun. I know the tenifer is supposed to penetrate ".03 microns" into the metal. Does anyone out there actually know what that means? I know we have some metalsmiths here...

Thumper,

You got it, the grooves on the slide are all still black and it really does look great. Its almost like its own finish, it does not look hacked in any way.

After I polish it up with some simichrome it should look really nice,,,,,we'll see.

I should have some pics up by tommorow.

~Jason

I'm curious about this too and I don't even have a glock at the moment. Please do post a pic when you get a chance in this same thread if possible so we can find it again.

shiro

Micron = 1 millionth of a meter, or the penetration is 30 nanometers... (very small)

.03 microns = 30 nanometers.

Human hair = 60 to 70 microns

Back