Same die settings, different presses?

dyl

This is a long shot, but if I unscrew a die from my single stage, and put it in a different press like a turret or progressive, is there enough standardization between presses or max ram height that the round would come out somewhat the same?

I'm guessing not. But I'm hoping it's yes. Because then I could use my single stage for hard forming / resizing jobs, and put the die in a turret with the rest of the set without changing anything. Don't own a turret yet, just playing with the idea.

This is a long shot, but if I unscrew a die from my single stage, and put it in a different press like a turret or progressive, is there enough standardization between presses or max ram height that the round would come out somewhat the same?

I'm guessing not. But I'm hoping it's yes. Because then I could use my single stage for hard forming / resizing jobs, and put the die in a turret with the rest of the set without changing anything. Don't own a turret yet, just playing with the idea.
No. Even between presses of the same make/model, there will be a tolerance mismatch.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Not likely. Sorry.

I know when I went from a single stage RCBS to a progressive Dillon, the die settings were nowhere close. Apples n Oranges.

Yep. The thread diameter and pitch are standard, but the height of the female threads in the presses and turrets isn't standard and the final height of the shell holder when the press handle is depressed isn't, either. This is the whole reason dies have to be adjusted. If all that was standard, the factories would just machine the stop collar into the dies.

However!! Press "a" will remain relatively constant,as will press "B", "C", etc.

So,at least in theory,a shim with a 7/8 hole through it could be used to adjust the shorter presses to the taller press.

I don't rely on my lock rings that way,never tried it,myself.

For myself,I set the dies to the shellholder/ram at top of stroke..It does not matter what press.I do se a feeler gauge between the shellholder and die to repeat setup

Some folks believe you will load ammo that s more concentric/coaxial (accurate) if your die can float a bit to align with the axis/perpendicularity f the threads. They accomplish this by using an O-ring between the lockrng and the press.It prevents die rotation,but allows the male/female thread mate to control die alignment,rather than lock ring/press.

I gave my brother a Starret multi-Anvil mic. These allow a pin or blade to be clamped to the mic for the fixed anvil. The clamp is easily removed,converting the mic to a height gauge.

With that,he canre-set dies inhis Dillon1050 tool plate. The die protrusion out the bottom of the press can be recorded and repeated.

Useful if you have to swap out a tool plate.

Last edited:
Back