Same Caliber in Guns

Ned Roundtree

I have my revolvers and rifle in 38/357 to make it easy when carrying ammo. But I have seen other folks with different caliber guns. One cowgirl shoots 38 sp from one revolver, 45lc from another and her original Winchester is in 32-20. Seems like an awful mess with all those calibers. Do you keep your guns the same caliber or do you have a mix of calibers??

I keep everything the same. 45 Colt. I'm not saying it's the bestest and onliest, it's just what I happen to do.

Shotguns are a different story...I use a 20 gauge Stoeger SxS, a pair of 97's in 12 gauge, an LC Smith and a 1887 Winchester in 10 gauge...just to mix things up a little.

In my reply about cowboy guns I said that it was easier if the pistols & rifle were the same caliber. When I started out I bought 2 Ruger Vaqueros & a Marlin Cowboy all in 45LC. In the begining I was such a bad shot, but all the nice cowboys blamed my misses on my pistols and told me I would do better if I shot .357's. Well, I bought the .357's so now I have 2 different calibers to deal with. At least the size is so different that it's hard to get mixed up and I keep any reloads for my rifle on my gun belt and reloads for my pistols along with my shotgun rounds on my ammo belt. I have discovered that the caliber wasn't the problem with me missing targets, I just didn't have a handle on the sight picture.

A.D.

Howdy Ned,

I shoot .45 Colt in my pistols and my rifle. I've got enough to think about without worrying about my ammo. I do use two different loads,and I keep them separated by loading my pistol ammo in nickle cases and loading rifle ammo in regular brass cases.

Bellicose Bill

From what little I've seen around here about 1/4 to 1/3 of the shooters have separate loadings for pistol and rifle/carbine.

I don't think using two calibers would be difficult. I will be using .45 Colt in my revolver and 44-40 in my lever gun (Still in the procurment stage, as it were). I doubt these two cartridges could be easily confused. Keeping them in seperate ammo belts will help as well.

------------------
Guns cause crime like spoons cause Rosie O'Donnell to be fat!

Back