Sako Rifles

chipchip

What can anyone tell me about Sako Varmit rifles. Saw one on the rack yesterday in 22-250. Had a blued barrel with a composit stock.

Hammer forged barrels, buttery smooth actions, strong extractor, nice triggers, 1 MOA guarantee. I love my 75

If you can afford it and you like the look and feel of it, buy it. You'll be hard pressed to find a better made and more accurate rifle.

I shoot Ground Hogs with a Sako SS 85 Varmint in 22-250 with Hornady V-Max 55gr factory ammo and it is so accurate it will shoot one hole at 100yrds and I rarely miss Mr. GH.

My first centerfire rifle was a Sako 22-250 Forester which I purchased brand new in 1981. I still hunt with this rifle having had it rebarrelled with a varmit barrel a few years ago & after firing more than 5,000 rounds. A super accurate rifle that I have used on crows, rabbits, hares, foxes, cats, dingoes, wild dogs, feral goats, kangaroos, wild pigs, deer, & even a water buffalo. The vast majority of the rounds fired through this rifle, prior to rebarrelling were at game, as it was my only centerfire rifle for a number of years while I was culling feral animals on a number of relatives & friends propertys including our place.
I dont know what you want a varmit rifle for, but I actually preferred my 22-250 with the standard barrel as I found it handled better as an allround rifle, while still achieving just as fine groups that I have since achieved with the replacement varmit barrel.
I own a Sako .17hmr, Sako .308 Finnwolf lever action, Sako 85 .308 Bavarian which I also use for hunting. All of my Sako rifles are super accurate & very well finished. I cant recommend them highly enough. I also own & use a CZ .22 & CZ .375H&H. While my CZ's are probably just as accurate as my Sako's, the Sako is a step up in class. Buy one ,then you will know what I'm talking about.

Whether you like heavy barrels or not depends mostly on how much walking you're planning to do with it. I had a sporter barrel on my Rem 22-250 and it shot lights-out, winning many turkey shoots as well as killing lots woodchucks and crows, both rested and offhand.

I wanted a better springtime wind-bucker, so bought a 6mm Rem, 700 Varmint and was disappointed with the weight, since we did a lot of walking. It shot very well, especially in the wind, but was too heavy for Maine woodchucking, at least the way we did it. Accuracy was similar to the standard weight barrel.

I found a good deal on a used Sako 75 in 243 cal with a stainless barrel and just mounted a 6x18 variable power scope on it......I sure hope its a shooter ( if I do my part that is ) and will find out this week end hopefully ! :)

They are tough as well as pretty. My brother in laws went through a house fire. When We recovered it I thought it was a total lose. I advised my nephew to contact the factory or a competent gunsmith before he junked it. (Not much hope)

The gunsmith consulted Sako, conducted some mechanical test (hardness and others) found the action and barrel to be safe.

The restored rifle is once again as beautiful and functions as well as it did before the fire.

Last edited:
Sako Vixen

My first varmint rifle was a Sako Vixen in .222. I purchased it back in the late 60's when I was a teenager. I carried that rifle for years and had so much fun with it. I made the terrible mistake of trading it off about 10 years ago when I was in heat over a plastic pistol that I kept about 6 months. I have sure made some stupid decisions over the years but I think this one took the cake.
Sako's are just wonderfully made examples of the gunmaker's art.

They're quality factory rifles. I own an 85 hunter in .260 and while I've seen some complaints of the finish on the hunter mine is beautiful.

Back