Sako 85

About 3 years ago a good friend bought one chambered in 270wsm, I helped him get it set up with a Leupold Boone and Crockett VX3 scope. We shot it at the club I belong to then I took him antelope hunting at my place. The next year he shot an elk with it. The gun/cartridge performs flawlessly.
His is the stainless synthetic lightweight model.
Observations and opinions
The gun is incredibly accurate, able to hit the 10" 600yd gong everytime, most shot falling in a couple of inches with factory ammunition.
270 wsm is a phenomenal cartridge using modern bullets on everything including large bull elk, there's no doubt about whether or not you hit.
Fantastic trigger right out of the box.
Like all Sako's fit and finish is outstanding.
All this doesn't come without a high price tag but you'll be glad you spent the money.
I bought the German made JP Sauer 100 Atacama in 6.5 prc, sort of a less expensive similar gun and cartridge on sale for 950.00. I really like it but have no illusions about it being in the same class as a Sako, it doesn't group well with the Hornady factory ammunition which is fine because I shoot handloads anyway.

Double k what powder and brass are you using in your prc? How many firings are you getting from the brass? I'm using magpro and adg brass.

ligonierbill you won't be disappointed with a sako. I have 2 the actions are smooth accuracy is great as is fit and finish.

Double k what powder and brass are you using in your prc? How many firings are you getting from the brass? I'm using magpro and adg brass.
I'm using Superformance but only because I've been unable to get any RL26.
I bought a box of factory Hornady ammunition and a bag of it as well.
Because it's a deer/antelope rifle it has less than 50rds through the gun, not loaded anything more than twice.

Thanks. Shoots really well. Only using mine for target shooting. Just got 16lb of magpro today. I have 7 firings on the adg brass. I have an unopened 8lb of rl26 I'm saving for other guns. Retumbo shot really well for me as did rl23. Magpro is doing really well with more velocity.

Thanks. Shoots really well. Only using mine for target shooting. Just got 16lb of magpro today. I have 7 firings on the adg brass. I have an unopened 8lb of rl26 I'm saving for other guns. Retumbo shot really well for me as did rl23. Magpro is doing really well with more velocity.
I can store that 8lb's of RL26 if your over the 50lb limit!

I've never shot it my gun but it looks like thee powder to use in 6.5prc, low pressures and high velocities.

Back