Sako 85 vs FN winchester model 70

stewey1

Inactive
Hi all,
Im looking into a new hunting rifle,
What are your thoughts on these two makers? Im interested in fit and finish, quality, and durability.

I wont specify a model and calibre to keep the disscussion general

Cheers

I was impressed with both. I believe the Sako to be a finer finished piece though. But, that said, I'm a M70 kinda guy and I like the new ones. Reliability? I'll let you know in a hundred years or so. This is one of those personal choices. You pays your money and takes your chances. I would expect either one will fit the bill.

I'm a Sako kinda guy, I have not had one that wouldn't shoot a half inch group with one factory load or another, the triggers are sweet to the degree they spoil you. They can be lightened up but they break so clean that I've not found the need. I had heavy barrel varmint models in .22-250, .243, and 6mm PPC, they all shot one holers with handloads. The two .243's I've had both liked Federal Match loads and would shoot cloverleafs with factory loads.

I recommended a .270 Hunter w/ Leupold 4-12x scope to a guy and that shot a dime sized group with the first type of ammo the guy got for sight in, again it was Federal. Now go with an Elite 4200 for a great package.

I'm looking at getting a new .243 or .260 in the heavy barrel with the set trigger. .243 is actually winning out because of availability of brass and bullets, plus I like the ballistics of them.

Thanks for the input Gents its much appreciated. Im leaning towards a model 70 super grade which here in Nz costs about $2000 where the sako is a eye popping $3000

I do like the action design better on the M70 looking at both sakos and the M70s side by side I dont see a $1000 dollar difference, christ even if the model 70 shoots terribly I could have it rebarreled with a trueflite ultra match barrel and it would still be cheaper than a sako.

The only problem getting the super grade is knowone stocks them so its going to be a bit of a wait

thanks again

The weatherby was a top contender at first but the stock just didnt fit me right, They have a different look about them that I quite like on some models

I like the model 70.

As far as the sako, all I ask is....Have you ever delt with Berretas customer service?:cool:

SAKO or WEATHERBY????????? What a silllly sillllly question!!!!!!!!

They're both in completely different catagories, Sako's are refined, crisp and have been round for yonks.

Weatherby's are getting there but they aren't nearly as good as a SAKO!!!

SAKO ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

MK

Back