Sako 85 Greywolf or Synthetic?

Black Frog

Is there much of a weight difference betweent the Sako 85 in stainless/synthetic vs the greywolf (stainless/laminate)?

And do you think that one is better than the other? I'm debating on which to get.

I'm not sure on the weight. You make check out the web site. I'm sure they have the specs on the web site. As far as better, I would say that would be more of a personal preference. I love the way the Sako greywolf looks and I would go with that one personally. I have several rifles with synthetic stocks and they seem a little more durable to me. There not as susceptible to moisture. I tend to use my synthetic stock guns more often because I'm paranoid about dinging up the stock on my wood stock guns. However, the laminated stocks seem to hold up much better than guns with the regular walnut stock. The wood is harder, but it is also heavier. I've heard that the laminated stocks are not that susceptible to moisture as the walnut stocks are as well. Like I said, it pretty much boils down to your personal preference. Go check them both out and see which one you like more. Either way, you can't go wrong with the Sako.

found on Sako's website that the 85 in SS/Laminated for the short action is listed at 7-1/4 lbs. The 85 in SS/Synthetic in short action is listed at 6-3/8 lbs. Same barrel length, same overall length.

I just can't seem to decide on which stock to get.... I suppose I could get the laminated, and then if I ever wanted synthetic I could get a Mcmillan for it.

Thats not a bad idea. 7 1/4 lbs is not too heavy for a hunting rifle either. I think I would spend the extra money and go with the greywolf. For one, the gun looks great, and the laminated stock is pretty durable as well. Hard to go wrong there. The 6 3/8 lbs would be nice if you plan on carrying it all day up and down the mountains, but depending on the caliber you get, it's going to kick like a mule on crack.

I compared the 2 in Cabella's, and I didn't like the feel of the synthetic stock. It felt more like cheap plastic than a quality synthetic. Sounded hollow. The laminate felt really nice and was thicker in the wrist area of the stock. It is definitely a well built rifle in the laminate. I also like the contour of the barrel. It is slightly thicker than other makers' standard barrel, but not so much as to be a weight issue. Overall, it has great balance and would be easy to carry all day, depending of course on the scope you install.

What caliber are you buying?
I found it in .338 Federal on closeout for $770 shipped. All other calibers seem to be $1300.

The closeout .338 is an excellent choice. I have a .338 Fed and shooting 200gr Fusion loads back to back with a similar rifle in 30/06 shooting 165gr, I see no difference in recoil. The Fusions gave me some groups sub MOA and none bigger than 1.5". Great caliber.

Back