Saiga or Mosin-Nagant, 7.62x39???

Chilli9880

At was at my uncle's today discussing guns. Long story short, he ends up giving me what he calls an AK. I highly doubt its a AK, no pistol grip. It's a 7.62x39 rifle but the stock and most of the gun is synthetic. I did some research and looking some things up and it appears to be either a Saiga or Mosin-Nagant. It has the Star with an arrow inside of the star. I know pistols not rifles. So can you guys give me a hand identifying?

Attachments

• Saiga1.jpg
    Saiga1.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 84
Trying to get this 2nd picture attached. Not working right now. But it has the star with the arrow inside. 1952 is below the star

it looks to me also as a yugo sks due to the muzzle brake but its not a bolt action so i feel pretty sure on saying its not a mosin-nagant also cause its not 7.62x54r.

As I google pictures of Russian SKS, that's exactly what this gun looks like. Conceding that this is a SKS, how much would this gun be worth? I only got one mag with it.

russian is the higher quality of the sks i say. but matching parts? arsnal refinished? and the poly stock kinda takes away from it but id say prob 250ish if it was a original russian with clean wood they go here at local shops for 425ish

As others have already stated, the value of this rifle is definitely hurt on account of the numerous modifications done to it, the plastic aftermarket stock, missing bayonet, and the muzzle brake unless it's somehow affixed in a way that didn't require any modification. It's quite possible the modifications were done at a time when Russian SKS's were widely available for something like $90, but now that the supply has dried up those days are long over and it's not uncommon to see an unmodified Russian SKS being sold at $400.

The reason being that most aftermarket parts made for the SKS are generally low-quality and most modifications are seen as unnecessary (for example, adding a muzzle brake to a recoil that already has very mild recoil).

Mosin-Nagant is NOT 7.62x39mm. The Mosin-Nagant is 7.62x54R

And what the photo shows IS an SKS. It has a built in ten round magazine. Right?

I apologize for the pictures, they are from my phone. Its definitely all polymer. though I don't see where it was modified. The muzzle brake doesn't look modified at all. It is possible the polymer is stock? If it is, does that mean its not russian and maybe yugo or chinese? And yes 10 round mag is what came with it.

That is definately an SKS. I am guessing it is a Norinco.
Polymer stock is an aftermarket add on,maybe an ATI.

The muzzle brake is probably pinned on and is also aftermarket.
I just accquired a Romanian with the same stock along with the original wood and bayonet.

I immediately removed the brake and poly stock and attached the bayonet and original wood stock.

They are very good rifles regardless of how they are stocked,more accurate than a standard AK47. I think the SKS is somewhat underated.

Shoot it like it is and have fun,but if you can locate a correct wood stock and bayonet that would be even better.

Back