Saiga feeding problems

Coinneach

Staff Alumnus
Just got a Saiga carbine in 7.62. The thing refuses to feed reliably, with the carts getting either hung up on the lower lip of the chamber (with 30-round mags), or wedging into the chamber with bullet pointing *way* up and the head pointing *way* down (with the factory 5-rounders).

Question: is it worth my time and money to fix this problem (maybe throating?), or should I take the thing back and shove it up the dealer's*&(@_HNb760982b7*NO CARRIER...

------------------
"America needs additional gun laws like a giraffe needs snow tires."
--Rabbi Mermelstein, JPFO

Coinneach, as far as whether it's worth it or not is of course up to you. I'd give the magazine a hard look as well as the feed ramp. George

the problem is the Saiga releys on front of fatory mag as feed ramp real AK's and there "truer" variants use a ramp above the mag in the well for proper feeding to solve this either use only factory mags or weld a small bead/ramp in the proper area
This does work we have tested it Good shootin !

The saiga rifle uses the AK-74 barrel trunion(the part the barrel is pressed into that is riveted to the receiver) not the AK-47/AKM type. The ammo feeds directly into the chamber from the mag. This is why it jams with 30rd mags. The 30rd mags are lower in the front and feed the ammo below the chamber. On the AK-47/AKM barrel trunion there is a feed ramp to guide the ammo into the chamber.
I have a saiga that is five years old and is 100% reliable with the factory mags. This is the first one I have heard of that wouldn't feed with factory mags. All problems feeding I have seen posted on the net has been from people trying to use 30rd AK-47/AKM mags that didn't have the front of the mag built up to same height as the factory mags.
I would return this rifle as it must be defective if it will not feed with factory mags.

Thanks for the info, guys. I took it back. The dealer had identical problems with another NIB Saiga... perhaps a bad day at the factory?

Ah well. I'm the besotted owner of a Norinco SKS now, which has performed flawlessly (no slamfires or runaways yet).

------------------
"America needs additional gun laws like a giraffe needs snow tires."
--Rabbi Mermelstein, JPFO

Muzzleflash is correct. The 30 round AK mags do not work in the Saiga. If you weld a piece in the front of the mag, and polish it out with a dremel tool, they will feed as well as an AK.

Back