Safety

BadDog

Inactive
About a month ago me and a few friends were spending some quality time at an indoor range when something potentialy deadly happened. I was standing behind a friend while he put a few rounds through my EAA Witness P .45 (junk, sold it). Apparently an ejected case hit the wall on the right, went up hit the target runner then came down and hit the primer of a live round. Yup, it went bang. It blew the box and ammo all over the place. My friends face was about six inches from the detonation and very fortunatly was not injured. I was hit in the chest with a live round or two but also was uninjured. Before this happened I don't know if I would have belived an ejected shell could have enough energy to do this, but they do. Now all of us make sure all ammo boxes are closed with no exposed primers while we are activly shooting. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Does anyone have any other "extra" safety suggestions to pass along?

Hmmmm, extra safety suggestions, eh? How about "don't stand near this friend in a thunderstorm". Seriously, I would have to chalk this one up as a freak, one-in-a-billion occurance and would not look to modify my routine because of it.

Rosco

[This message has been edited by Rosco Benson (edited 01-28-99).]

Baddog, I had a similar situation on my range about a year ago.We were at the seven yd.line for the Texas Concealed Handgun qualification when a student shot a 1911 and the cartridge hit the plastic box of the student to his right where he had his ammo,which was also a .45.The spent cartridge hit a cartridge that was sitting with the primer up and that cartridge and one other detonated.I had been standing just behind that plastic box and had moved maybe 10-15 seconds before it detonated. Blew the bottom and the back of the plastic box out.We found one hull that was laid back and a bullet that had not been thru the bore. Never did find the second cartridge. We now require that all cartridges be covered with the towel we furnish for our customers and students. Had I not moved when I did, I would have picked a few meatal frafments. I have talked with other instructors from around Texas and they had never heard of such happening before.Badddog,do you think we maybe among a selected few to have experienced such ?

------------------

I've researched this topic for the local fire department. I didn't have to do tests as the tests had been done several times by others.
The main danger when a Round not in a weapon goes off is the primer.
The bullet is of no real concern as it is the heavyest part of the round and as such doesn't move very much if at all.
The casing explodes and there are tiny shard of brass. These will not penatrate the skin, but could injure an eye. (wear you shooting Glasses)
The head of the case could bruse but is not moveing fast enough to cause real damage. The Primer can exit the Primer Pocket at 450 FPS, fast enough to be dangerous.
This is not a problem for Firemen as they have on face shields and Turnout Coats.
But in shirt sleeves, at a range, it could cause enough damage it require a trip to the Hospital.

Ranger, maybe this happens just enough for it to be one of the things people should "be aware of".
I was able to find every piece of the cartridge and box. The primer of course shot staight up and was probably the most dangerous piece. The case did not fragment but blew apart like a flower. The bullet (fmj) made a good sized dent in the table.
I don't remember the brand of ammo, but it was the type with plastic separating the cartridges. That plastic blew into about 100 pieces, I found pieces up to 25 feet away.
I'm not trying to preach, just something to keep in mind.

While an Firearms instructor at a Federal Law Enforcement Training Center we experienced this only once, and then decided that students would put all live ammo, othe than that which was in a magazine or speed loader, in the strong side pants pocket.

This elimenated live rounds on the bench and eliminated the problem.

Back