Safety First !!

A classmate was telling me about his fellow soldier who was into blackpowder. The other soldier had his army t-shirt on and shorts when he was shooting a smokepole. Anyway, an ember went down his powder can which he left uncapped. It lit and the soldier had third degree burns over his body. It didn't help that his clothing had synthetic material in it.

Very good link !!!

Mete,
That is a very good link and many will apply to whatever you're shooting. We teach most of the points that were listed. When teaching at our M/L station, we always establish a clearly marked safety zone and properly sealing the powder canister, after loading our flasks. Also observe the "Smoking Lamp is Out" ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
I was told of another community near me that has the same type of thing ,firing with people close etc. My friend said it;s just an accident waiting to happen.Idiots !

It's sad when kids are involved in such accidents. Especially so with 4 involved on this occasion. As far as liability I'm sure the police investigation will figure that out.

i've investigated several of these type incidents for insurance companies and lawyers. In every case some adult committed an act of industrial strength ignorance. This one was no exception. They had a kid hold a "pouch" of blackpowder while the cannon was fired.

This guy is not an candidate for Mensa:

For whatever reason, whether it was the fuse or a spark, went into the pouch that one of the 10-year-olds was holding and there was a secondary explosion. How would anybody expect that to happen?" Orem Police Lt. Guy Gustman said.

He called the event a "very unfortunately accident" and said it was too early to say how the incident might affect next year's parade.

"Unfortunate accident": i don't think so. It was almost pre-ordained to happen.

As of 17, June one child had been released from the hospital.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...talized-from-Orem-cannon-accident.html?pg=all

Back