safely removing spraypaint on A5

Sgrigs

Inactive
Hi,
I have been given an old belgium made browning a5 light 12. It has been spraypainted to look camoflauged. I want to somehow clean off the spray paint and make it look like the original should, just the metal barrell and wood stock may get ruined in the process. please explain how it could be removed without harming the metal barrell or wood stock?
Thanks,

Sprigs, you can use DAD's stripper from Wal-Mart. I use it to strip stocks a lot. Removes the old finish without harming the wood and I know if it won't eat wood it won't eat metal. Just follow the directions. For the metal parts I would not use the putty knife, just get some coarse steel wool. Be sure and use gloves and wear eye protection. This stuff will irritate the skin. I'd hate to think what it might do to your eyes. George

George, I think Sprigs would like to remove the paint but not the finish on the stock or metal, right?

Man, what a shame. Bring that beautiful thing back to original condition.

Try acetone. Use a teeshirt rag and elbow grease. Do the metal first. Acetone won't eat the blue- however, if you leave it on long enough, it will attack the stock finish. Don't use anything abrasive. If the spray paint is relatively new, it will come off easier. Scrub the checkering with a toothbrush and wipe away excess. You might also try "Formby's Paint and Poly Remover Wash" good stuff... Tell us how it turns out...

to follow up on DeBee's post, if you use acetone (or just about anything else that strips paint, probably), keep in mind that that stuff can hurt you many ways. protect your eyes, use it outside with plenty of ventilation, and avoid any source of ignition. if I recall correctly, acetone is very flammable (in the same class as gasoline).

does acetone attack Parkerizing/phosphate finishes?

The way I understand the question is that he wants to remove the paint without harming the metal or wood. I think that anything that removes paint is going to attack the wood finish. On the other hand the bluing probably won't be bothered. That's why I said use steel wool instead of a putty knife on the metal. To avoid scratching. George

Back