Safe to leave striker pistol loaded?

dgang

Just received a striker fired 9mm pistol from my family for Christmas. Up to now I have carried a 3" .357 revolver and just placed it in a safe place when at home. Can I do the same with the striker fired pistol, meaning keeping a round in the chamber and cocked for extended periods of time. Not knowing, it would seem that it would similar to keeping a crossbow cocked for weeks or even a month and it would be hard on and weaken whatever springs and mechanisms involved. Thanks for the input and a merry Christmas to all of you. Dgang

What kind of striker fired pistol do you have that's cocked without pulling the trigger through the cycle? Something like a Glock isn't cocked, it's just chambered. Pulling the trigger "cocks" the gun and fires it in one pull. It's good that you're asking about a handgun that you're not familiar with in order to use it safely.

Some striker fired (SF) guns are not cocked until the trigger's pulled, some are partially cocked like Glocks, and some are fully cocked like the HK VP series. It doesn't matter. The striker spring is a wear item and you should replace it every 3 to 5,000 rounds anyway. Round count, not time, is the determining factor.

Do the mag springs once in a while also. The gun will tell you.

To answer your question, yes you can keep in loaded with a round in the chamber. If you are uneasy with that just leave the chamber empty with a loaded magazine in place.

As noted most modern striker fired guns are considered "double action" rather than "single action" by traditional terms. Granted everyone uses their own terms now but very few striker fired guns actually rest in the "cocked" position.

I’m just curious because now that it’s brought up, I guess I never really knew if the striker in the non-Pro Ruger LC9S I used to carry as my EDC was always cocked or not when I carried it. I always thought it was because whenever you go to field-strip it for cleaning, I always had to use the inert magazine(or an empty magazine) that came with it so it could safely be dry-fired(of course, after ejecting the chambered round first) to decock the striker so that the slide could be removed....

I dunno, did I just answer my own question?...lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I hope it's ok - I leave my .45acp Shield loaded & the striker cocked all the time.
There's just my wife and I & the three dogs - so - there isn't anyone else to be concerned about picking it up and pulling the trigger.

Springs generally don't wear out if they are put under pressure - or - if they are relaxed - either one. It's the pressure/relax cycle that harms them.

(Merry Christmas - back atcha)

I hope it's ok - I leave my .45acp Shield loaded & the striker cocked all the time.

There's just my wife and I & the three dogs - so - there isn't anyone else to be concerned about picking it up and pulling the trigger.

Springs generally don't wear out if they are put under pressure - or - if they are relaxed - either one. It's the pressure/relax cycle that harms them.

(Merry Christmas - back atcha)

So then, it’s not true and is unnecessary to rotate magazines to to let the springs in them “rest” and not be under pressure from being compressed all the time from ammunition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes
Most springs in most guns are under tension/compression/torsion to some extent
This includes revolvers, some likely more so than many semi-autos
Generally speaking, springs are most susceptible to cycles, not their resting position

Many years ago, Gun Test magazine writer, Charlie Cutshaw, wrote an article regarding a test on the then new HK Model P2000 pistol. He made the following observation: "...A final note regarding the LEM: When the slide is worked to the rear and sets the hammer against the sear, the hammer is under tension from the mainspring. For this reason, HK recommends that the pistol be cleared and the hammer dropped on an empty chamber prior to placing the pistol in long-term storage. This is probably a very good idea, as it is not advisable to place any device in long-term storage with springs under tension."

Because I was curious as to what constituted "long-term" storage, I wrote Heckler & Koch and asked them to define what they meant by the term. I received the following response: "HK recommends that the P2000 pistol be cleared and the hammer dropped on an empty chamber prior to long term storage to protect the life of the spring". So apparently, HK believes the springs are "alive" and would benefit from being "rested" from time to time.

"Resting" a properly made spring has no effect on it whatsoever. If HK thinks so, they are either idiots or are using substandard springs.

Not missing, just reviewing this board and some others. I have to clear up the idea of storage. I meant carrying and then " storing" the pistol in a safe place until I carry it again outside of the house, maybe several times a day. Then not shot for 2-3 weeks after I run a several hundred rounds through it in the next month or so. The pistol is a Sig 365 and it has not had any problems for the first 300 rounds. The trigger is a bit of a learning curve, not as tight as my G22 or Sig 226, but if I learned to shoot a LCP and a LCR .357 well , the Sig will be a piece of cake. From everything I've read on this board and others, I will treat the pistol as I do my LCP, full mag and one in the chamber at all times. Thanks to all for your input and have a great 2020.

Last edited:
Back