safe loads for 1895 Mauser in 7x57

Rifletom

As the title says, safe loads. I'll be using Hornady 154gr FB spitzers, Win and Fed cases, CCI LRP's and H4350 or IMR 4064. Also have H4831sc and Ramshot Hunter. Data is a bit scarce and generlly all over the place.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Plinking, no hunting involved.

Of the powders you listed, I would focus on 4064. 4350 is a bit slow for best performance, and I don't know the other two.

95 Mausers were made to run at about 45Kpsi working pressure and so were the cartridges they were originally chambered for.

98 Mausers were made for approximately 55Kpsi rounds, and like all quality firearms, there is a significant safety margin above working pressure before really bad things happen.

That being said, I wouldn't push any 100+ year old rifle beyond its standard working pressure

The data is, as you noted, all over the place. The 1970 Lyman manual lists 43gr IMR 4064 as their starting load with a 150gr bullet giving 2487 from their test gun, a 29" barrel 95 Mauser.

The 2007 Hornady manual lists 43.3gr IMR 4064 as their MAX load with their 154gr bullets, velocity 2400fps from their test rifle, a 20" barrel Winchester Model 70.

I would recommend getting your rifle completely checked over by a gunsmith who knows what he's doing, before shooting anything through it.

My Ruger M77 does well with 150s and Ramshot Hunter, but of course it's a modern rifle. Hornady recommends IMR-4064 specifically, and their data for this round is very conservative, although they throw in the obligatory "modern rifles only". It's not only Mauser 93s and 95s; there are still a fair number of old Remington Rolling Blocks out there. Since you're just plinking, why not go with the Hornady start load? Assuming your Mauser is in good shape, it was originally designed for a 173 gr bullet at about 2,300.

Thank you guys. This steers me in the direction I was thinking. I'll be using starting loads from Lyman and Hornady regaring IMR 4064 and Hodgdon starting load for H4350.
The rifle has been looked over by two quality 'smiths in the area. Thank you.

I have a custom 1903 Mauser that's been slimmed, a Shilen ,20",1:8" #3 barrel installed, and chambered in 7x57 Mauser. It likes all kinds of bullets and powder combos, but the one that is consistent is a Sierra 175 grn SBT, and IMR 7828.. CCI 200 primer, with just about any brand of brass..

Back