Safe for Long Guns?

j-heart

I'm considering a long gun purchase and am looking ahead of time for a good but affordable safe. I want something I can grow into (maybe hold 4-6 long guns plus 8 or more pistols plus ammo). This will not need to be close for quick personal defense but just to keep them safe from kids and theft.

My brief search through the net seems to reveal either very nice and expensive safes (around $1000+) or flimsy gym locker looking ones for around $89.

Any good deals on something more middle of the road?

Suggestions?

I've been spending a lot of time doing similar research. I don't see any magical deals out there, surprise surprise. You really get what you pay for. You can get the school locker style gun cabinet cheap, but of course even your kids can break into that one. You can pay a teensy bit more for something like a stack on, but of course any thief can get into one of these.

I'm probably going to start with something cheap. I don't see the point in buying a $1500 safe today, when its going to be a couple years before my guns, collectively, are worth more then the safe (counting shipping, etc.). I figure that for now I will add a rider to my homeowners insurance to cover what I have, as necessary.

A couple things to consider. What does your homeowners policy cover? Mine automatically gives me a $1000 for guns, and I can get riders to cover higher value guns as necessary.

How much are the guns worth, how much would it cost to insure them, and how much of your time would it take to get the replacement guns the way you want them, and how much is that time of yours worth?

Where do you live? I live in a 'burb. My neighbors are pretty close, sigh. They more or less know when we are gone, and if they heard drilling noises from my basement its likely they would call the cops. The thief knows this, and it limits how much time he has to bother any safe I have. If you live in the country, you can't count on that, and that may play into how secure of a safe you want. Of course, once you get past the stack on level a thief needs tools to get into any decent safe. He just needs a heck of a lot more serious tools to get into a better safe.

Do you have other things you want to store? This is especially related to the fire protection thing, though one possible solution for fire protection is to get some fire protection for the safe, but get a big enough safe that you can put a small "media safe" inside it on the bottom. These things provide more fire protection then any but the most expensive of the gun safes seem to, and the double protection should save your stuff from any fire. They are pretty cheap, relatively speaking, as they are small.

To get a good sense of what is out there I would go to this site: http://www.agenglish.com/ I called them and had them send their catalogs to me (tried e-mail first, but it bounced back to me, that may be fixed by now). Good luck,

patent

I have a Cannon 35 Cu/Ft fire save. 600lbs empty. It was a little over 1K with tax. If you do not want the fire lineing (which is just gypsym board) they are lighter and cheaper. I love mine but may have to change interior's soon as mine is getting full ;)
We just moved into a new two story house with out a basement, the wife wanted it UP staires, I told her "only if SHE puts it there" :D
It's bolted to the floor and there is an alarm on the house so I feel pretty safe with them in the house.
My suggestion is to save your pennies and get a get a nice one,I waited for my tax return. You wont regret it, that is untill you fill it up.
Cajun

Check out Zanotti Armor

Check out Zanotti Armor...

Interlocking design allows you to 'build' the safe in place. No more lugging 600-1000 pounders around or up and down stairs...

Check the website: http://www.zanottiarmor.com/

or call or write for a brochure

Zanotti Armor
123 West Lone Tree Road
Cedar Falls, IA 50613
(319) 232.9650

I know this is NOT the middle of the road pricing you were searching for BUT... (in my opinion) when it comes to security
a) You don't want to skrimp and
b) You kind of get what you pay for

I bought my safe from http://www.securitybase.com/Web_store1/ws400CS.cgi?store=safe . I got a model 6022 in black for $495.00. the shipping was $100.00, still, I got a very nice safe for the money. It will hold up to 14 long guns. I have it set up so that one side holds rifles, and the other side is shelving for bullets, cameras, pistols and etc. They have some good products for the money. I would buy from them again. Remember though, this particular safe has to be bolted down in order to keep from tipping over if it is opened while it is empty. The door is very heavy.

Okay, as I'm looking at these safes I see some of them quote a gauge of steel. Is the gauge stronger as the numbers go up or down?

I went with a Sentry gunsafe. I needed something reasonably priced and reasonably movable. I would have LOVED a Zanotti, but the price was just too high. Sentry was on sale at Walmart for $300ish, it is heavy and well-built enough to deter any thief who doesn't know his trade very well and/or bring tools with him. I have no illusions about its ability to deter a professional safe-cracker, but lets face it- most burglaries are smash-and-dash affairs.

Mike

In general I agree with Blades. the only reason I didn't save and spend big was the fact that I know I'll be moving soon and I also plan to build a safe room in place at my next residence...thus leaving me with a surplus safe.

If you plan on staying put, buying more guns, or moving and NOT building your own armored vault, I'd get the Zanotti.

Mike

Back