Safe disposal of black powder and pyrodex?

aarondhgraham

I was cleaning out some storage bins and came across two 1-pound jugs,,,
One of Pyrodex and the other black powder,,,
Both jugs are about 3/4 full.

What is a safe way to dispose of this/

Can I just spread it out on the ground and hose it down with water?

It has to be at least 10-12 years old,,,
It's been that long since I last shot my percussion revolvers.

Your help will be appreciated.

Aarond

Why not to use it? Black powder (and Pyrodex, too) will last an eternity...and in case it is wet you can let it dry and use it.

Why not use it,,,

Why not use it,,,
I sold all of my BP guns,,,
Except for one I'm converting to centerfire.

I swore off of all things black powder years ago,,,
I hated the mess and the clean-up process.

I just need to safely dispose of this stuff,,,
Any help will be appreciated.

Aarond

The potassium nitrate in the real black powder IS good fertilizer, unlike the usual recommendation for discarding smokeless.
I don't think the potassium chlorate in Pyrodex will do the garden any good. I'd sprinkle it in the gutter and dissolve it down the storm drain.

But it seems a shame to just throw it away; as said, black doesn't degrade.
Don't you have any muzzleloading or BPCR friends?

Take it with you the next time you go to the range and offer it to a shooter firing a BP gun. They will be reminded that there really is a God.

Or you can pour it out it in a trail and light one end, like you have seen in old movies. I have used a trail of black powder to set off fireworks for the fun affects.

I don't let it go to waste !!

I just need to safely dispose of this stuff,,,
Any help will be appreciated.

Well !!! ???
You can just spread it on the ground and it won't hurt a thing. After all. that's where it came from.. ... :)
I use it in my cannons.
Make fire crackers.
Trade it off at GunShows.

Or you can pour it out it in a trail and light one end, like you have seen in old movies. I have used a trail of black powder to set off fireworks for the fun affect
Done this as well and pretty neat results. Lately I just give it away to some of my "BuckSkinner" friends as they are real BP-Fans ....... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

Why destroy it? it's fine to use. I have used BP that I knew was at least 100 years olds it was my grandfathers - yea, I'm old nd he was born in 1867 so I know that when I took it form his home when we broke it up in the 60s the it was from the very early 1900s.

Anyway . . . if you dom't meed it . . there has to be someone in you afea who could use it.

If it was old smokeless - the would be a different story. I use that for fertilizer.

The potassium chlorate in Pyrodex might keep tree rats away. Apparently it's used in SEA to induce off-season flowering of longan trees. Dunno what a longan tree is.
Keep in mind that my first thought was a match. However, how and where it's been stored matters for that too.

I'd just ask at your local shop or range or club for someone who might want it, and give it to them (or trade). Someone who would pick it up in person, so there would be no hassles with shipping it.

There always someone nearby enough, who would enjoy a bit of the "holy black" or even Pyrodex as a gift or a fair trade.

Unlike smokeless powder, black powder is not a chemical compound, It is a chemical mixture, and does not degrade chemically over time. Even a century or more. (provided it is not physically scattered) Won't go off when wet, but can get wet and dry out with no harm done to it.

It is an explosive, and can be set off a number of ways you might not think would set it off, so its not as safe as Play-doh (or plastique:rolleyes:) but treated properly its not 'scary dangerous" if you know what you're doing.

With everything being in such demand today, it seems a shame to just waste it by spreading it on the lawn.

Which would be one safe way to dispose of it, if that's your choice...

Hmm, insert fuse light and run.
OR you could use it as an excuse to buy a 10 gauge muzzle loading side x side shotgun. Or a cannon. Or a cap and ball revolver. All I know is I can't wrap my head around any disposal method that doesn't make noise.

Mike

Back