Safe Ammo for M1 Garand ??

jager

I know this issue has been dicussed many times before.. I ran out of Mil Serp. ammo two years ago, for my M1 Garand, I have been using American Eagle 150 gr. 30-06 Springfield. I'm not shooting as much, and not interested in buying bulk. I need some advice on what is safe these days, and best on line ammo dealer .. :confused:

Im in the same boat as you. lots say nothing but mil spec but its hard to find now. My buddy who I bought the grand from just ran whatever he could find 30-06 FMJ 150gr like the military stuff and he never had a problem. BUT if your worried brownells sells 2 adjustable gas ports so you can dial in the action for modern ammo. They're both about 40 bucks so they're cheap peace of mind.

Get an adjustable gas nut

These are commonly referred to as a gas plug or a gas nut, but the correct designation is gas cylinder lock screw. (You install it to lock the gas cylinder in position, which will unscrew on the barrel threads without the lock screw in place.)

At any rate, the two available are the McCann and the Schuster. Each uses an orifice of some type to bleed pressure from the gas cylinder during the cycle. The McCann has a set of five screws, and the Schuster has a couple of setscrews that you move in/out to adjust the amount of bleed.

These devices are really simple, but there is generally no way to know in advance how to set them for any ammo you are contemplating using. Instead, you start with the port adjusted wide open (as large as you can set it) and fire & adjust until you just get reliable cycling.

I read about one shooter who made up several more insert orifices for his McCann adjustable nut (to fill in intermediate sizes), then D&T'd a small metal plate to hold all of them. The plate was just small enough to fit in the butt of a Garand. He numbered the holes and had a reference card for the ammo he would shoot that showed which insert worked for that type of ammo.

Of course, he had to develop the reference data the hard way, but he felt confident enough to just use his card to determine the correct orifice screw when changing ammo types.

This sounds like a really neat idea, and I think I'm going to do the same thing.

Let's face it. Surplus .30-06 isn't going to be available forever...and that's a shame.

Last edited:
Best deal is CMP. I just received two ammo cans of 250 rounds each. Cost was $70.00 per can plus $10.80 shipping cost.

It's Lake City delinked ammo. What I received was dated 1969. It shoots very well.

Hornady also has a new load specifcally for M1 Garands,(product code # 81170) featuring thier match grade A-Max bullet (Hornady's answer to the Sierra Matchking bullet) That will really wring every bit out accuracy out of your old warhorse.

I also hand load for mine when I have to use public ranges around here, as they do not allow FMJ ammo in the DFW/North texas area. It became the best economic alturnative under the circumstance. It feeds 150gr Hornady
soft points(product code #3033) like a champ.

Last edited:
Back