Safe .308 Mauser

saands

I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!! It seems like every time I home in on a reasonably priced mil-surp bolt action in .308 everyone screams that they are unsafe. I'm referring to the French MAS-36 in .308 that are swimming around these days and also to the Spanish FR-8 Mauser. Are there ANY mil-surp .308 bolt rifles that are "safe" for .308 win loads? Or ... do I really have to go find a non-spanish large ring Mauser action and fit a new barrel to it? I guess it is worth doing right ... it just ought to be simpler ... I mean, really ... all I want is safe, accurate, .308 bolt-action for under 200 dollars ;>)

Any other ideas or comments would be truly appreciated.
Saands

How 'bout a Steyr Model 12/61? They were rebarreled in or about 1961 in 7.62 Nato (308) and are large ring M98's. I have 2 and am well pleased with them.

George is correct. However, I believe that the FR-7 rifles are NOT safe, nor are they really chambered for 308. They are chambered for the 7.62 CETME round which is very similar, but lower pressure according to my sources.

Hi, George,

There seems to be some concern that the FR-8 rifles are soft and not able to stand up to .308 Winchester, which is higher pressure than the mil std 7.62 NATO. There have been reports of receiver ring stretching. Note that I have not personally seen this, but I do know the Spanish Mauser actions (93 and 98) are softer than typical German actions. Apparently, their 8mm loads were below standard German pressures as well. Any other '98 Mauser action should be OK.

Jim

Thanks for your inputs ... the disagreement between George and Jim is precisely my problem ... if the FR-8's weren't close to $200, I just buy one and then hardness test it ... but I would really be upset to find that it was soft! I would want to be able to drop whatever .308/7.62x51 ammo into it without worrying. I already have an 8x57 and a .303 that need special rounds ... the whole point of the .308 was to be able to tap into the same ammo pool as my Garand and BLR in .308

I looked for the Steyr 12-61's and didn't see any on the 'net ...

I have seen references to getting a Remington "take-off" barrel in .308 at a show and rethreading it too fit the small ring threads on a Turkish 98 action ... This might be the best way to go ... I'll proabably learn more this way anyway! As simple as the action on a bolt rifle is it just ought to be simpler to build one!

Thanks for your inputs ... the disagreement between George and Jim is precisely my problem ... if the FR-8's weren't close to $200, I just buy one and then hardness test it ... but I would really be upset to find that it was soft! I would want to be able to drop whatever .308/7.62x51 ammo into it without worrying. I already have an 8x57 and a .303 that need special rounds ... the whole point of the .308 was to be able to tap into the same ammo pool as my Garand and BLR in .308

I looked for the Steyr 12-61's and didn't see any on the 'net ...

I have seen references to getting a Remington "take-off" barrel in .308 at a show and rethreading it too fit the small ring threads on a Turkish 98 action ... This might be the best way to go ... I'll proabably learn more this way anyway! As simple as the action on a bolt rifle is it just ought to be simpler to build one!

Saands, I don't consider Jim and I in disagreement. I've heard the same stories but like him I've never seen one that showed any problems. I've seen dozens of these rifles and have yet to see or hear a first hand account of any problems with them. But if you are looking for something to rebarrel then a Turk 38 is a good choice for .308. And if you can do the work yourself you'll spend a lot less. George

Besides the Steyer 1912's, there are also Israeli K98k's in 308 Win. floating around right now. They are perfectly good rifles too.

I've got an Israeli rebarreled DWM mauser in 308 that's great. I have no hesitation about shooting any ammo through it, and have shot a lot of hot surplus thru it.

Saands,
As long as you aren't stuck on Mausers, consider a Ishapore Mark III in .308. I have owned and shot two. They work great.

I got mine from the Gunrunner when he was located in California. He has since moved to Coeur 'd Alene, Idaho. He is still selling them for $250. Here is his website link:

http://www.survival.com.mx/gunrack/gunlist2.html

Hope that helps your consternation.

He has completely refinished his and they work great. Also has an Ishapore Carbine for $275.

Thanks for the options ... I'll look at the Ishapores ... I couldn't find any of the Steyers or the Israeli Mausers ... I'm not in a hurry, so if I don't get an Ishapore, then I'll probably settle into the project of making a Mauser ... Maybe both!

Thanks again,
Saands

Back