Saeco 32-40 mould - Excellent!

stubbicatt

Recently bought a 120 year old Winchester single shot rifle, which has been on my grail list since i was a boy. In order to shoot said rifle, I bought a Saeco single cavity, 200 grain, Pope style bullet mould, #61732.

Previously I have owned a Hoch nose pour and Lyman moulds. I must say, the Quality of this Saeco mould is without peer, and it casts beautiful bullets.

They are a far cry from 510 grain 45-70 bullets, little tiny jewels they are!

Can't wait to shoot this rifle.

I am not a very accomplished photographer, straight-shooter. Right now the rifle fore end is at the gunsmith getting a palm rest fitted to it, so she looks rather naked. (She's modest, you know, being 105 years old...) After that I'm having the lever and breech block re-color case hardened, and the buttplate nickel plated. The barrel bears the name F.J. Zika under the hand guard, who has a good reputation in this field. Also appearing are the bore diameter and twist as well as a notation that suggests it is not a gain twist, like some H.M. Pope barrels were.

Once she is in her new livery, I'll see what I can do, photography wise. The mould itself is rather unremarkable in appearance, but magnificent in detail. This is my second Saeco mould and it is so much better than the Lymans I have used over the years. The other is a 4 cavity #68 H&G design, also of very high quality. The higher price sometimes does come with better quality, and I can say that has been my experience with Saeco so far.

The bullets thrown from the mould initially were disappointing. I cleaned it again, and after that, it has been spot on. I'm guessing I missed a spot of packing oil the first time around. The bullets are less than .001" out of round, or at least I am unable to measure with a calipers any ovality. I haven't tried my micrometer out, and I see no real need to do so, as these are breech seated, and it is my belief that any ovality less than .001" is meaningless due to the method of loading.

Count me a happy customer.

Last edited:
Back