Sacrilege!

KyJim

I have an assortment of SW and Colt revolvers. All of them are steel or alloy and all my Smiths, but two, are pre-lock. But now I have sinned. Yep, I bought a polymer-based revolver, a Ruger LCR. And, to double-down on my heresy, I got it in a 9mm. :eek:

Why would I do such a thing? Well, I'm convinced there are several loads from manufacturers with better ballistics from a 9mm snubby that for a .38 spl +P snubby. And the 9mm won't have all the recoil of a .357. I've only dry-fired the LCR but the trigger is better out-of-the-box than my J-frames. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get it out to the range right away.

I also have a Model 19 Carry Comp that's on its way. I'm not sure if this excuses my polymer revolver "sin" or makes it worse because I know some folks don't like a ported barrel for a carry gun. This will be my first. I've just always thought a three-inch barreled revolver the right compromise in barrel length and casual concealment.

Hey, I'm a "Smith & Wesson guy" but if I wanted a small revolver, it would be a Ruger LCR. I've just never cared for the J-frame Smith & Wesson's.

I've heard a lot of good things about the LCR. I've been looking at one for my wife. She can't seem to let go of her Rossi 3" 38 spl SS

I know some folks don't like a ported barrel for a carry gun. This will be my first. I've just always thought a three-inch barreled revolver the right compromise in barrel length and casual concealment.

I think you will find why some don't like the ported barrel the first few rounds you put through the gun.

I agree that the three-inch barrel is optimal for a carry gun. I carry the original Charter Arms 5-shot .38 Special with the three-inch barrel. I bought it new about 1970 and it still is my favorite. I do hand load for all my firearms.

LCR's are like Glocks. They're not pretty, but they get the job done and they do it well.
That's what I'm thinking, too. I wouldn't want a safe full of polymer handguns but they are very practical. I will say that I had a polymer SW Bodyguard that I tried to like but just couldn't because it was difficult to shoot well (just like alloy J-frames). I'm hoping the LCR will be easier to shoot well.

I think you will find why some don't like the ported barrel the first few rounds you put through the gun.
I know the muzzle flash may be distracting but I'm hoping I can find a mid-power .357 load that doesn't flash insanely in the gun. Maybe I'll end up hating it, but I guess I'll find out.

That's what I'm thinking, too. I wouldn't want a safe full of polymer handguns but they are very practical. I will say that I had a polymer SW Bodyguard that I tried to like but just couldn't because it was difficult to shoot well (just like alloy J-frames). I'm hoping the LCR will be easier to shoot well.
The trigger on an LCR is actually pretty darn nice for a snubby. I'll take an LCR's trigger over a stock J-Frames.

KyJim wrote:
"...I bought a polymer-based revolver, a Ruger LCR. And, to double-down on my heresy, I got it in a 9mm."

I can see that.

The work people have put in over the last few years continuing to refine and enhance the performance of the 9mm cartridge has surprised me, so I can see the attraction. I think you made an interesting choice.

I inherited a S&W J Frame 38 from my grandmother (it pre-dates when they were proofing the pistols for +P loads), but since I have yet to find anyone who wants to stand in front of it with regular loads, I'll continue to load to the lower pressure.

"...several loads from manufacturers..." You try 'em all out of your LCR? You can peruse part of the actual ballistics of the 9mm and .38 Special here. No '+P' anything though. '+P' is about the pressures and nothing else. Accuracy is far more important anyway. http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/calibers.html
And factory triggers are irrelevant. All of 'em need work.

There is nothing wrong with a snubby if you know how to use it and practice. I actually went outside and to various places, yesterday, with a 642. Horrors!

You try 'em all out of your LCR? You can peruse part of the actual ballistics of the 9mm and .38 Special here. No '+P' anything though. '+P' is about the pressures and nothing else. Accuracy is far more important anyway. http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/calibers.html
And factory triggers are irrelevant. All of 'em need work.
Haven't even shot it yet. I've been looking for years at various tests on velocity and, more importantly, terminal performance in ballistic gel. That includes results from the LCR which shows muzzle velocities at or above three inch barreled semi-autos --- for an example, see https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ruger-lcr-9mm-ultimate-cqb-snub-nosed-revolver/. And yes, accuracy is normally more important caliber, but that's more on the shooter than the gun/ammo at self-defense distances.

I don't think your doing to bad. I am currently looking for a LCRX 327 to add to the collection and don't feel bad about it at all. I have a few 9mm revolvers and the worst I can say about them is they are snappy and some folks don't like moon clips. I enjoy moon clips and 9mm revolvers but my S&W 940 and Ruger Speed Six 9mm just don't get carried much anymore.

As for your Model 19 Carry Comp, I am a little jealous….. I would likely stick with a low flash powder and 38spls in it. I bet it will be super fun to shoot.

I own a bunch of snubbies.

My LCR is easily my favorite to carry out of the bunch.

The trigger is great, it's hammerless (no-snag), and it's nice and light so it doesn't make my pocket "sway & sag".

Good job OP!

Some like chocolate frosting on their cake . . . some like vanilla . . . .

I'm the opposite of many. I had a LCR 357. I've owned a number of Rugers - all have been good firearms. Nothing wrong with a LCR - mine shot well and was accurate at SD ranges -I'm "older" and about half a bo of 357s out of my LCR was enough as it hammered my hands too much - but I carried 38s so no biggie. That said, it's a good functional snobby but I much prefer the Smith Model 36 snub that I traded it in on - what can I say? I like steel revolvers. In fact, I liked the 36 snub so much that I found a 36 with a 3" barrel and carry that sometimes as well.

That said, I do like some of Ruger's offerings in the LCR line in other calibers than 38/357. The LCR is a nice firearm and a lot of folks like 'em. They'll be around for quite a while.

The "relatively" large number of Smith & Wesson handguns I have attests to the fact that I've always been a fan of this company but, when it comes to carrying a snub-nosed revolver concealed, my choice is the ugly Ruger LCR (my choice is one chambered in .327 Federal Magnum for the extra round advantage). Though I'm a dyed-in-the-wool "traditionalist", the main reason I prefer the LCR over any J-frame Smith revolver I've ever fired (of which there's been many), is due to what I feel is a much better (smoother and lighter) da trigger on the little Ruger.
A lesser reason but still valid for me is the lack of trust I have in the contemporary S&W-style trigger lock.

Some times a person has to be practical. If I had to start over or had spare cash I would look at one of these in 327.

One should always double down on heresy. ;)

Congrats on the LCR! My one and only revolver right now is an LCR in .357. I carry .38s, truth be told. They may not be pretty, but they're fantastic little pistols. Very easy to drop in a pocket & go.

Back