Sacramento area 1911 smith?

Lavan

If you have been reading my thread in the "smithy" category, you know I am perplexed by a Gold Cup.

Do any of you know a pistolsmith who knows 1911's in the Sacramento, CA area? Do not mention Roseville as that is where all my problems started.

TIA for any advice.

If not, WHO would you send a gun to who KNOWS how to put accuracy back in?

(It once was until I had a non-problem "fixed")

So you didn't like J&G in Roseville, eh? I know, they have a hard time keeping good gunsmiths there, too. Try Dale Martenia at DM Custom Handguns on Watt Avenue in North Highlands, on the North side of McClellan AFB. Tell him Darin sent you. Dale left J&G in Roseville due to the conditions there, and now does his own artistry in metal when it comes to 1911's, revolvers, and bolt guns, all while preserving functionality and utility. He built this race revolver for me, note the cylinder release he designed. But be forewarned, such work comes at a premium, his backlog was at least 6 weeks last I'd checked.

ppcpropointleftplonk2.jpg

Lavan, if you were just a couple years earlier in your request for a decent Sacramento area 1911 smith, I would have sent you to that reclusive guru of things 1911, Richard "Dirty Dick" Bancroft. Dale was Dick's understudy for some time, that's why I can recommend him so well. Here's the Caspian Officer's ACP Dick built for me back in 1996:

acpleft.jpg

I think Dick's pretty much retired at this point, due to failing health of both himself and his wife. But in the years he worked his 1911 and knife magic, there was nothing comparable. I'm glad Dale carried on with his sense of quality and workmanship. Compare the two pictures, you can see the strong family resemblance in basic utilitarian functionality, without excess gaudy stuff. (I jeweled the hammer and trigger on the race revolver in a fit of silliness, can't blame Dale for that...)

I can enthusiastically recommend Dale as well. He has already completed two 1911's for me (a Delta 10mm and a Caspian compact) and is in the process of finishing up two others (a Lightweight Caspian Commander and a Kimber). I was in his shop earlier today and I recall his repair time was estimated at around 8-9 weeks whereas his fullhouse work comes in at six months or so. Give him a try, I don't think that you will be disappointed.

loyal following

another vote for dale over at DM, i've followed dale through 3 shops.

he's done work on serveral of my guns (officer's acp, glock19, s&w m642, sig 220...). he also does a very nice browning/norinco ATD bull-barrel w/cantilever scope mount.

you migt have seen dale and his wife on the NRA TV ads.

Looks like I am gonna trot over to see Dale.
Does he do bullseye work? This gun was a one holer until
I fell for the old scare about the fingers on a series 70
breaking and had a solid bush "fitted." "Fitted"-hah.
Stuck in and jimmied was more like it.

i think he does, but i don't know how much. i think he shoots IPSC, possibly some cowboy...his wife shoots some high power rifle

Dale is moving...

DM Custom Guns is moving to Oregon early next year. Exact date TBD. He said they are more than willing to do business via UPS. Other than that, his posted wait time is about 10 weeks, and it will run a little longer if the move happens during your wait. That having been said, he has two of my guns in his queue and is about to get one more, so I have no problems recommending him.

Back