Sabot slugs question

postmaster

Grandson bought me Sabot Accutip Slugs. It says use only in rifled barrel. My shotgun is smooth bore. Will it hurt to shoot them?

Not going to hurt anything, but you will prob not get great accuracy out of the smooth bore.

I Would NOT shoot em thru a choke tighter then modified

You'll have to be very close to those milk jugs. Won't damage anything, but you'll be lucky to hit anything either. If a sabotted tank gun round means anything to you, they sort of the same idea.

Years ago, I shot some Remington sabot slugs in a Mossberg 500 with the 24" smoothbore slugster barrel.
I got good accuracy at 50yds, about the same as Foster slugs.

The lack of sights on smooth bore barrels probably has a large effect on how accurate a sabot round can be.
They are designed for rifled barrels with rifle type sights.

They probably cost him $3 per shot. If he or a friend has a rifled slug gun, that would be a better use of them.

Slugs for a smooth bore are like $.75 to $1 a shot.

The lack of sights on smooth bore barrels probably has a large effect on how accurate a sabot round can be.

Both my Benelli and my Moss 590 have Ghost ring sights and are smooth bore but wont shoot sabot slugs as well as Foster styles.

They are designed for rifled barrels with rifle type sights.

Sights have nothing to do with it; the rifled barrel has everything to do with it.

Sabot slugs meant for rifled bores need the twist in order to stabilize the slug in flight. What you'll likely get is erratic POI with key-holing of your target. Don't think it will hurt the gun though.

Have NEVER seen any store take ammo back for any reason - trade or otherwise.

Same here.

Shoot 'em. No harm will come. They may be less accurrate than foster slugs, (may not be). You might have to bring in your milk jugs from the 100 yard line, at 25 yards you won't notice the difference.

One of my local stores will trade rimfire only but nothing that could be re-loads.

If they(your store) won't trade you, trade with someone that has a rifled barrel.

If you get the rifled slugs for your smooth bore you will be better off. For blowing up water jugs, 00 buck is fun

Basically--what that article is saying is sabots for rifled bores will shoot erratically and keyhole when fired through a smoothbore. I have confirmed this with dozens of tries with all kinds of sabot slugs.

The interesting part of the article is that using Brenneke style rifled lead slugs intended for smooth bores appear to fire very well out of rifled bores. Since they are generally cheaper than the modern sabot slugs made specifically for rifled bores that's something to consider--though I suspect there is a bore-fouling price to pay.

They didn't take them back, so I shot a couple at milk jugs. I hit both from about 35 yds with my ghost ring sights. They pack a punch for sure.

I used to live on the border of a shotgun area and knew quite a few guys that used shotguns for deer. A couple of them used lead slugs to sight in a new scope on a rifled bore. They said it got them close and was a lot cheaper than starting out with sabots. Notice the big difference with the scope?

I used to live on the border of a shotgun area and knew quite a few guys that used shotguns for deer. A couple of them used lead slugs to sight in a new scope on a rifled bore. They said it got them close and was a lot cheaper than starting out with sabots. Notice the big difference with the scope?
I can see that--but even at 50 yds most hunting rifled bore sabots I have used will impact quite a ways off from other brand slugs, so I might do this to get on paper but wouldn't count on it for final sighting accuracy at 100 yds.

Back