SAA for carry

I have carried a reproduction Colt 1860 .44 percussion revolver for open carry in a slim jim holster when out in the woods.

I sold it to my brother and wish I still had it. It was one of the most accurrate shooting handguns I ever had. Easy recoil with 20gr of Goex FFFG and wonderwad.

Is that single action auto, as in "guns as god intended"?

If so then yes, Springfield M1911A1 in a Galco NSA with spare mag (or 2).

If that is single action army, as in 1873 Colt revolver, then no.

I know a couple of Cowboy Action shooters who do. One just got one of the new Ruger Vaquero's with the bird's head grip for just that purpose. He's making his own crossdraw holster to carry under a vest.

If you can dig up a copy of the "Handguns '92" edited by jack Lewis, I wrote an article in there titled "Self-Defense & the Single Action". You might find it interesting.

I had a 3.5" Sheriff's Model that I occasionally carried in the appendix position with the loading gate open to keep it from slipping down my Levi's waist band. The short barrel allowed me to set comfortably.

I don’t carry a Single Action Army, but I do carry a Ruger Vaquero Sheriff’s model in an IWB made by Black Hills Leather. Hope that helps.

I don't as a rule but I have before...

...and if that's all I had I would do it again! My preference today is a semi auto.

Years ago I could not afford a good semi auto and found myself carrying a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 mag. No problems at all, but of course, I never had to use it in a self defense situation.

A few years later I stumbled onto a mint 2nd generation Colt SAA in .45 Colt and carried it for a time--I was really in to reading Skeeter Skelton at the time! It was the only handgun I ever *used* when a drunk dude tried a home invasion at my home.

To this day, I love carrying SAA's around the woods, etc. As for leather, try El Paso Saddlery.
Jack

I carry a Ruger 4 5/8" .41 mag. NM Blackhawk when I hike in the mountains and the black bears are awake. It goes in a Camelbak buttpack that I use, butt-up, topstrap down, butt facing my strong side. I can get it out in a couple of seconds. I doubt I'll ever need it, but I'd feel pretty stupid if I did and it was at home.

Open carry is legal (and I've got a nice old-timey rig from RD Makers of El Paso), but it freaks people out too much. When I used to hunt, I'd carry open . . . the rifle actually seemed to make people not freak out: "Oh, he's hunting."

I don't carry the Blackhawk other than when I'm in the mountains. It's just too bulky (much worse than Colts), and I have other things that are sufficiently good medicine for vermin less hardy than black bears.

Ronin, I grew up outside West Lafayette. I doubt you'll want to carry open around there, and (unless you're a big fella) you might find concealing a single-action revolver a little inconvenient. Have a pork tenderloin sandwich for a displaced Hoosier, would you?

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I don't carry an SAA but used to carry my Ruger Single Six all the time out in the woods when I was a kid where I grew up (in PA). I guess my intention here was to see who carried a single action revolver concealed. I really wanted to know how some of these guys carry theirs.

Erich- I'm 5'5" my friend so I doubt I'll be concealing a Colt Walker anytime soon :) BTW my fiancee used to work at a resturant that served those tenderloin sandwiches...

Dan

SINGLE ACTION ARMY...CARRY? YOU BETCHA!

I QUITE OFTEN CARRY A 4" SAA 45COLT DURING THE WINTER. THE RIG IS A 2 1/2" CHAPPAREL GUNBELT WITH A HIGH CUT MEXICAN STYLE SHUCK.
I ALSO SOMETIMES CARRY A TLA 44SPECIAL IN A TOM 3-P HOLSTER ON A EPS CHAP LEATHER MONEY BELT.
MY WINTER COAT COVERS IT ALL WELL AND IT IS STILL VERY ACCESSABLE. IF YOU EVER HAVE TO SNAP A SAA OUT FOR BUSINESS EVEN THE REAL BOZOS KNOW THE FIT JUST HIT THE SHAN. THE SAA'S PROFILE IS RECOGNIZABLE AROUND THE WORLD AND THEY ALL KNOW THE " COWBOY PISTOL " NEVER MISSES.
PROFESSIONAL CRIMINALS WHO LAUGH AT KNIVES, GLOCK PISTOLS ETC ARE MOSTLY SCARED WITLESS OF A SAA SIXGUN...

" THAT'S A KILLIN' GUN..."

Back