SAA Copies & Clones

Dave T

I started to post this question in the handgun section but thought I might get more experienced and specific infor here.

Which is the best of the SAA copies in terms of apperance (fit & finish), reliability, durability, accuracy (like shooting where the sights point)? I know there only a couple (maybe 3) companies in Italy making these but I'm not sure who does the best job.

I have owned and currently own some very nice guns manufactured by Uberti. Sometimes the quality, fit and finish required by the importing company may vary. But the overall gun is still manufactured by the same folks. Case in point, my wife's two Cimarron Lightnings. Imported by Cimarron from Uberti, beautiful guns very smooth, shooting point of aim. Then I have two Taylor & Co revolvers, also by Uberti, nickel plated but you can see a lot of the sanding marks under the nickel.The guns also shoot very nicely. Bottom line-I recommend Uberti made guns.

Howdy Dave,

Uberti and ASM are the two companies that make SAA clones. It's my opinion that Ubertis are the better of the two. As far as the best of the lot,Cimmaron Model Ps are very highly regarded as fas as fit and finish.

Bellicose Bill

IMHO, the Ruger Vaquero is unrivaled for the things you list (reliability, durability and accuracy). As far as appearance, it's dimensions are slightly larger than the original Colt.

Ditto, ditto and ditto. :D The clones vary in price and perhaps quality from the low of the Liberty imported by KBI up to the high of US Patent Firearms. The Liberties have a dealer cost of only $209 (with brass backstrap and trigger guard) and don't look half bad. The USPA's are three times that amount. The best overall compromise is probably the Cimmaron, Navy Arms or EMF Dakota or Hartford.
The Vaquero is superior in terms of strength and servicability. They are less expesive than some of the copies but higher than the cheapies. However they lack the "feel" of the Colt/clone.
If you have the time to before your purchase your best bet would probably be to attend shows and look in shops until you find the one that "speaks" to you. ;)

------------------
Gunslinger

TFL End of Summer Meet, August 12th & 13th, 2000

Hey "slinger"! Used to be you could get and fit some aftermarket grip frames ( it's confused in my mind, but XR3/ XR3RED ring a bell ) that i think were intended for the smaller 3 screw old frame but could be mated to the larger 2 pin new model one size fits all frame. Was I smokin' wacky terbacky or does that sound right to you? Can you still get and swap the old small XR3 frame with the new model eVACQUERator bulloney guns? They made a small frame Bisquit 32 H&R mag, then dropped it. Can they still be assembled fro rimfire guns? Rechambered to 32-20? 25-20? 5mm velo doggie? Must be time to craxh ...

Back