SA sights

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnemeth

Do adj sights make any difference ia accuracy in SA revolvers, or are fixed sights just as good?

I like the "prettier" high gloss stainless and case color finishes of Ruger's SA guns, but these are only available in fixed sight versions. I also like the convertible models with the extra 9MM and .45 ACP cylinders, but these are availabe with adj sights only.

Also, on the fixed sight models is there any wat to adj for windage?

I would use the gun mainly for general target practice st my range, and maybe for SASS someday.

Thanks
Christopher Nemeth

cnemeth, This is one of "those questions!" It doesn't really have an answer, except as individual preferences dictate.

Fixed sights are more "rugged," people like to say. That means there's not much to knock our of alignment unless you really whack the front sight. Adj. sights sit up higher in general and are designed to move, so they do so more easily.

Adj. sights would appear to me to be an advantage with the interchangable cylinders, as the various loads aren't likely to shoot to the same point of aim (hence the availability only in adjustable).

As for adjusting for windage, there are two methods, both fairly haphazard and difficult, relatively speaking. Just by changing the charge weight of the powder I'm using (Are you a handloader?) or the primer, sometimes the point of impact of a load will shift dramatically to the right or left--don't ask me to explain it. That's one possibility.

The other is more precise, but will probably send you to a gunsmith, unless you know exactly what you're doing. It involves clamping the barrel of your sixgun in a (padded) vise and turning the frame with a hammer handle or some such instrument inserted in the cylinder window of the frame (rear sight must go the direction you want the bullet to).

If you get fixed sights, be sure to stick with a load the gun likes and shoots to where you want it to go. You won't have much variety of loads with these sights, in all probability.

In cowboy shooting you can use your adj. sighted sixgun for the "modern class" and still compete.

I love the sleek looks of the fixed sighted guns, but almost always wind up buying adj..

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Rod WMG (edited August 10, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Rod WMG (edited August 11, 1999).]

All my SA's have adjustable sights...they're older Rugers, and there was no choice before the Vaquero. I used the adjustments on the SBH quite a bit, because I shot it in IHMSA silhouette matches at 50 to 200 meters. The other guns, used for hunting and fun, are zeroed for their best load and left alone after that. That's what adjustments permit that fixed don't...but it's only useful if you have an accurate revolver that you can shoot pretty well, and need the precision. SASS type shooters are the ones who called the fixed sight Vaqueros into being, because they wanted to compete against the Model P Colts. Zeroing a fixed sight gun is a pain, but if you have one that shoots 'close' to the sights, and can live with that, no problem. slabsides
PS: A fixed sight gun that shoots to the sights with the load you want is a pearl beyond price. Hold onto it, if you find it!
An armed man is a citizen; an unarmed man is a subject; a disarmed man is a slave.

[This message has been edited by slabsides (edited August 10, 1999).]

Just last Friday I took two of my Ruger S/As to the range. One is Bisley Vaquero with fixed sights and the other is a Blackhawk convertible with adjustable sights. Both .45 calibre. The inherent accuracy of the two is probably identical, as they are basically the same gun. However I find I am able to shoot much tighter groups with the Blackhawk. I think the sharper sight image of the adjustable sights accounts for the difference. "Fun factor" is equally high with either gun.... Joe

------------------
Go NRA

My 1976 mfgd Colt SAA in .44Spl is dead on for my favorite handload. Xpermint with different loads and their placement relationship to the sight alignment, before you go to twisting, hacking or bending stuff on your gun.

[This message has been edited by Mykl (edited August 10, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back