SA hammer for slip shooting?

bergwerk

My Colt SA might benefit from a hammer designed to ease slip shooting.

First question: where to look for one.

Second question: will slip shooting the hammer while the trigger is held depressed damage anything?

I think a sliphammer would be pretty much a custom proposition. I doubt it will damage anything until/unless you get so fast that any style would be hard on a SAA.

Don't do it. It does cause wear and damage. If you really want to do it, get a Ruger and have a gunsmith replace the internals. The action needs to be hardened, geometry angles need to be modified and everything needs to be polished. When you do it, budget for a rebuild also. Slip hammering is not damaging in itself. There are just a few things that can get out of alignment and tolerancs that will change enough to batter the hand and possibly break the bolt if you speed things up. I have broken a few parts and spent some money myself. It is fun and even fastdraw and sliphammering is fun. No, I can't shoot aspirin out of the sky. I have shot in fastdraw, CAS and even exhibition gunfight reenactments. I did break internals, often.

You might want to explane what slip shooting is

Is that where as the gun is pulled out of the holster the thumb brings the hammer back and then slips off with the trigger pulled allowing the gun to fire?
If thats it, I think that a lot of practice with blanks might be in order.

Yes, with the taped or removed trigger and the cocking thumb slipping sideways from the hammer.

Ed McGivern got me thinking about it but Sir Williams' advice confirms my fears about damage, even though I'm somewhat surprised by his lack of ability with the flying aspirins.

Have you read McGivern's 1938 book?

Slip shooting

Ed McGivern was something far out of the ordinary with his handguns and talent. If I remember correctly he even had a pair of handguns with the front of the trigger guard cut out so he didn't lose a couple of thousands of a second inserting his finger in the trigger guard. It might be infintismally faster but it doesn't sound like the safest thing to do. Only my opinion.

He has photos of those in his book in a chapter titled "Mutilating Guns as an Aid to Speed" and he fired them in DAO mode.

My current obsession is with Colt SAAs, hence the search for slip hammers.

Back