SA caliber?

Ed Dixon

I'm getting ready to purchase a Ruger Vacquero in the next month or so, but am still not sure what caliber to go with. In all honesty I'm strongly leaning toward .45LC just because of the history, but understand there are cheaper and easier-to-shoot (accurately) calibers. I'm not involved in CAS but am curious and wouldn't rule it out at some point in the future. Any suggestions which might shake me loose from the lure( and lore) of the 45 or not? I may start reloading in the near future as well since I just started shooting a .45-70 rolling block repro.

If you are not sure about reloading, I would go with 357 Magnum or 44 Magnum. Both will allow you to shoot their "special" counterparts. The deciding factor should be wether or not you are going into bear country. $8 for a box of 38spl for some low recoil plinking is sure tempting. :D

To me, .45 LC is the gold standard of SA revolver calibers. Be that as it may, .357 Magnum would be my first choice for the pure fun of SA shooting. Also, the .38/.357 system is highly flexible.

I have a Vaquero in .45 Colt, and am very pleased with it. I reload, and my loads range from CAS level up to the "Ruger Only" loads.

That same range is available in factory loads, but the .45 Colt loads ( and also the .44 Special loads) are more expensive than the .357, and also cost more than the "generic" .44 mag loads.

Ed,
You might want to consider the Ruger Vacquero with both the .45LC and .45 ACP cylinders. You have the .45LC for all the reasons that you are concerned with and the .45 ACP for less costly shooting (if you are using factory ammo). From personal experience, my Vacquero is more accurate with the .45 ACP loads than any of the .45LC loads that I have tried.
Bubba

the .45 is probably the most mild load you will buy.they load .45 to anemic power just incase some dweeb loads one in a 100 year old gun.the ammo co dont want to be liable for an old colt to ka boom with a stout loading.so if you just interested in a mild shooting SA get the .45.i have a vaquero and a colt cowboy in .45.i too bought into the history of the .45 but if i were to do it again id go with 44.cheaper and if you want more power load up so mag loads.

Personally, I'd go for the 44 Mag. If you want 45LC, or 357, type loads, just load light loads for it! Later on, if you decide you need/want more power, you'll already have the gun!
The 44 is very flexible and easy to load for.

FRF2 -
Are you sure you have shot a Vaquero with a 45ACP cylinder? Unless it was custom made, it must be a Blackhawk Convertible with adjustable sights whereas a Vaquero has fixed sights. I wish Ruger would make a convertible line of Vaqueros.

The store where I bought my Vaquero also had a convertible Vaquero with ther .45 acp cylinder from the factory.

I was concerned about different points of impact between the .45 colt and the .45 acp loads on a fixed sight gun, so I passed on the convertible model.

bnv455x-c.jpg

I believe they also have them in SS

I vote for the .45 Colt - - -

- - - for sure, if you handload. Actually, nowadays there are a lot of reduced power "Cowboy action shooting" loads available. And a growing number of various other loads available, even without having to go to the auxillary, .45 ACP cylinder. (Wow! I didn't know that option was available. I may just have to - - - No, I can't afford it. Already have a DA .45 Colt. )

And, anyway, the short-case Scofield loads are very mild to shoot.

And if you DO handload, the whole field is open to you! Middle of the road loads, like a 255 SWC at around 800 fps, for everyday use. Same weight bullets in RNFP down around 700 fps for Cowboy matches. The .45 S&W (Scofield) cases, with 230 RNL around 600--650 fps. These can really be pretty economical.

And, this being a STRONG, MODERN revolver, you can load up cartridges fit for medium-to-large game hunting. You can get 300-gr-plus bullets and load up some for protection in bear country.

About the only thing nearly so versatile is the .44 mag, and I believe they sell it with an optional .44-40 cylinder. This one dates from the same year of inception as the .45 Colt, 1873. And you could load up the (1905-era) .44 Special in a wide selection of power levels, before you get into the hefalump defense level .44 mags.

Say what you will about Ruger's political outlook, they sure have a nifty product line in the Vaquero revolvers!

Best,
Johnny

whiskey -
I have never been so glad to be shown I was wrong. After seeing your pic, I had to go to Davidson's website. Sure enough, they have several convertible Vaqueros. Being a fan of fixed sights, I have been dying for a convertible Vaquero in 357 Magnum/9x19mm. Looks like this may be possible. Do you know if these are a discontinued item? Ruger shows only the blued Blackhawk as their line of convertibles.

i prefere fixed sites to adjustables in any handgun.i rather compinsate my aim than play with adjustables.besides fixed sites look better imho,

Seems like I saw the SS version in my latest Ruger catalogue, or it might have been on the RugerForum. I will check my book when I get to work Monday.

I am so stoked...

...over the new dual-cylinder Vaquero in .38-40/.40 *&*. It's just begging to have that second cylinder punched out to take 10mm... :D

Why not check out one of the single actions from Magnum Research? Having a rifle and a handgun both in 45/70 makes reloading much easier. One shell for both.

I had a friend send a blackhawk 45 LC back to ruger to have a stainless 45acp cylinder fitted to it. Believe he said the factory cost including return postage was a a bit over $50.00 for the stainless with a blue cylinder running more.

Back