SA 1911 front sight question.

Strabs

After researching current 1911 products to buy I've decided to go after a Springfield. The only thing I have any concerns about with making this next purchase is the front sight. On the full size 1911A1 it apears to be part of the forged slide (correct me if I'm wrong). Does Springfield offer a dovetail front on any of the higher line pistols (TRP etc?). OR is it relatively easy for a smith to remove and mill for new sights if desired?

Dunno about the Springfield, but the answer to your final question is "Yes". (If you remove the slide from the gun and look inside, you can tell how the front sight is attached. Look for a peened tang.)

Art

My SA "Loaded" frontsight is staked/peened in place and is not part of the slide. The milspec guns might have this type of sight, but I doubt it as Kuhnhausen refers several times to repeening or replacing loose frontsights on military surplus weapons.

Also, if you're going to invest in a SA weapon, I strongly urge you to buy the Milspec and add what you want. Paying for bad sights and fancy grips, when you'll replace them almost immediately, is aggravating. Learn from my mistake.

------------------
When Reason Fails.....

Strabs, no 1911 sights are milled as part of the slide. Some are dovetailed but most are staked in place. Gunsmiths will charge you about $10 to simply replace the front. George

Back