S&W's new internal lock

Stoic

Has anyone had the chance to disassemble a new S&W revolver with the internal lock?

locked.jpg

I wonder whether it will affect the trigger pull or smoothness. I remember that the transition from hammer mounted firing pin to frame mounted firing pin with transfer bar increased the trigger pull by 25%.

I guess this change may increase the price of older S&W revolvers and they will evaporate from the market at reasonable prices.:( :barf:

Hammer-mounted firing pin guns of certain models already go for a sizeable premium around here: a .45 ACP 625 w/a hammer-mounted pin is about $100 more than one with a frame-mounted one.

Not real fond of the new prominently laser-etched external serial # below the cylinder window, either.

I would be interested in function test with gun in assorted positions. Downside up, on side, vertical up, vertical down etc.

Sam

Every change that S&W has made lately has been for the worse:

- The MIM triggers and hammers
- The frame-mounted firing-pin
- The internal lock
- Going away from the pinned barrel
- Removing the blued finish option

Even if S&W never signed the agreement, I still wouldn't buy one of their revolvers with the new features.

Maybe S&W will do what Colt is doing now - Produce a "Limited Edition" of the their "Classic" Combat Magnum and charge double the price for it!

They could produce a new "Limited Edition" of one of their old model revolvers every month or so, and make a lot of money!

The hammer body has been machined on the left side to contain the lock parts. I don't see how it could make the already mediocre trigger action(of the newest MIM guns) any worse. I am concerned about this device working its way to a locked position, such as under recoil, at the worst possible time. Our own member, Denfoote, has reported just such an occurrence with his similarly featured Taurus.:eek: :(

It is my understanding that the Taurus revolver internal lock is a completely different design than the one used by S&W. I believe that Taurus was willing to give their design to S&W, but S&W refused. Since the S&W and Taurus revolvers each use a proprietary internal lock of unique design, failures of the Taurus internal lock wouldn't suggest that the S&W design was faulty.

This is what the Taurus internal lock looks like:

key3.jpg

This is the first that I have heard about the new modification to the Smith & Wesson. I haven't picked up a new in the box Smith, since their abortive deal with the devil, but I have bought several very nice used examples such as an 1989 625 .45acp and an L frame 686. Until Smith & Wesson, recants their deal that they made with the Klinton regime, they are not on my shopping list for new handguns.

7th

Yuck.

I am glad that I already have most of what I really want. But this will make me go search the used boxes only when it goes across the board.

I feel sorry for the next generation that gets to deal with this crud.

I wonder if a smith gets loose from full house reloads what will happen to the lock then? what if you lose your key? What if you have to keep it locked to carry it? I can't wait to see some laws taking advantage of this stuff.

So is my pre-ban still pre-ban?
Is my current stuff after ban?
What is this junk called other than paperweight?

Let me reiterate my take on this. :P

Have there been failures reported of the Taurus internal lock? Bob

I have a tracker with this lock. The lock is just a small piece that prevents the hammer from being pulled back. When unlocked, the lock is flush with the hammer. I don't see how it could fail, unless you lost the key.:rolleyes: I personally don't use it.

It's my understanding that no part of the S&W lock touches any moving components while unlocked. It's been tested heavily internally by S&W and also for the California tests (drop tests, plus 10,000 rounds, etc.) with no failures. Yes, if anything inside the gun breaks (whether part of the lock or not), the debris could disable the gun. No, you don't have to carry it with the gun locked. Unlock the sucker, toss the key back in the box, and you're done. That's what I've done with my HK USPs.

I do think the extra parts are unnecessary but I understand the political and legal reasoning behind it.

M1911

Back