S&W ?

No the 915 only came with an aluminum alloy frame and a carbon steel slide. The slide and frame were black (dark blue). This was an economy version of the third gen Smiths.

The model 910 did offer a version that had a stainless steel and and an alloy frame. The frame was "stainless" colored. This was part of the "Value Series" guns.

Both guns were introduced in the mid 90s to compete with Glocks sudden growth in the market.

tipoc

I like the 908, having had other gen3 Smith's. The cheesey cast hammer I can live but the lack of stippling on the front of the grip is a deal killer for me. Otherwise, nice guns.

Are there stainless models of the 915 semiauto? terry
No, but clarify what you mean...

technically, the 915 is doggone close to the 59xx series (I have both a 915 and a 5906). Everything interchanges, slides, barrels, safety assembly etc. I've swapped slides just for fun a couple times.

If you want "a stainless" version, just get a 5906 with the rounded trigger guard, that's as close as you will get. The only cosmetic difference is the 5906 will have the beveled frame, the 915 is flat.

I bid on a 915 online, but the pics looked like a stainless or nickel finish, but I did not bother to send them a message to ask about the finish. terry

I bid on a 915 online, but the pics looked like a stainless or nickel finish, but I did not bother to send them a message to ask about the finish. terry

"Is the finish original to the gun?", is an important question. Especially if the pics aren't clear enough to tell and if you don't know whether S&W made nickel versions of the gun.

tipoc

Someone might have polished the black finish off the slide, could be an aftermarket finish, or it could be a stainless slide from another gun. If it was the latter, it would have a different profile (more rounded) than the Value line slide.

I'd be very apprehensive about a 915 with a "nickel/stainless" appearance, especially if we're talking just online pictures.

The 915 is the only 'value' gun 100% compatible with the 59xx series, meaning interchangeable barrels etc. The 910 etc, have different barrels.
This means a lot when it comes to working on and replacing parts. You want to stick close to the 59xx guns, because there's a lot more stuff out there.

S&W never made a nickel, stainless, or otherwise "in the white" 915 to my knowledge. So, absolute best case scenario would be an aftermarket finish. Kinda unlikely for a bargain gun, when you could get a 5906 or 5903 instead (5906 is stainless slide and frame, 5903 is alloy frame to match stainless slide). 915 was carbon steel blued slide, black anodized aluminum alloy frame.
If the frame is shiny but definitely 915, it's very likely had the black (and anodized) finish sanded off or beadblasted, and thus would be soft.

2nd best case would be 2-tone, black frame, stainless slide from a 590x gun.

You can get a 5906 for about $300 and know what you're getting. I wouldn't gamble on a 915 that looks "different", odds are that gun has had a very rough life and not worth much at all.

Back