S&W warranty servcice, how long to replace?

lee n. field

How long does S&W take to turn around a gun?

I sent in my 642. It arrived 4/11. On 4/25 I got an email saying

Our gunsmiths have determined that your firearm needs a replacement frame which will be repaired under warranty.....Please provide me with the name, phone number and email address of a Federal Firearms Licensed Dealer of your choice to accept this transfer.

I assume this means the gun will be replaced. 2 weeks later, no one's heard a thing yet.

It's not a gun I need. Just wondering when I should turn into an annoyed customer.

You need to provide the name and contact info for an FFL - until you do that your revolver will sit in S&W's shipping queue.

Pick an FFL, send the address and contact info to S&W, let the FFL know it is coming, S&W will copy you on the FedEx tracker info, arrange to pick it up at the FFL. Easy.

I've done it once.

You need to provide the name and contact info for an FFL - until you do that your revolver will sit in S&W's shipping queue.

Pick an FFL, send the address and contact info to S&W, let the FFL know it is coming, S&W will copy you on the FedEx tracker info, arrange to pick it up at the FFL. Easy.

I've done it once.

I did provide that information, immediately.

I had work done on my 642 done and the turn around time was to be 6 to 8 weeks. I got it back in 4 weeks. So who knows maybe the ffl guy has it and has forgotten to contact you.

Wow! 6 to 8 WEEKS?! Turn time for me was 10 days, plus another 3 days to ship to the FFL, and 1 day to pick it up. So maybe a little over 2 weeks for me. M329pd.

After six to eight months, start getting anxious. After a full year get impatient. Being patient for a year or so might get you some freebies. I got a full lug barrel for Model 29 once, at no cost.

Bob Wright

Since they already have a dissatisfied customer (the OP) there's no downside to taking their time.

I am underwhelmed by S&Ws "lifetime warranty". Build them better the first time!

Best of luck to the OP. Hope you get your gun back soon and it's better than the first one.

Dave

Detached hammer stud?

I sent my 642 to them two or three times, then I traded it for a M64 on Armslist.

I doubt if I'll ever buy a new S&W again.

Little crack/crater thing in the firing pin bushing. I'm actually contemplating selling or trading this one off for something else, when it shows up.

Since they already have a dissatisfied customer (the OP) there's no downside to taking their time.

I am underwhelmed by S&Ws "lifetime warranty". Build them better the first time!

Best of luck to the OP. Hope you get your gun back soon and it's better than the first one.

Dave

The bunch of times my Charter Undercover went in, Charter had it turned around and back in my hands in 2 weeks.

"...your firearm needs a replacement frame..." I'd be an annoyed customer when they said that.
"...will be repaired under warranty..." And stopped being one when they said that.
Smith's site says nothing about turn around time. It's possible your FFL has yet to respond to them.

Update--7/2/2019

Well, gun finally made it back.

Was "in shipping" for at least 3 weeks, until one of the customer service people I talke to told me it was "waiting for FFL information". I knew I'd sent it, and I had the original email with the phone number of the person I sent it to.

She just didn't see the FFL info at the bottom of the reply to her message to me. Once pointed out, "Oh!. I need to take care of this."

"New frame" turned out to be exactly that. Original stocks, cylinder and barrel (at least, maybe internal parts as well, no way for me to tell) installed on a new frame.

This is a slightly related side topic:

I sent a malfunctioning magazine to S&W for replacement several weeks ago. After several weeks I starting sending inquiry emails. Every email I sent to them prompted an auto-acknowledgement back to me addressed to Denise Escalara. I am not Denise. Ms. Escalara, if you are reading this, and receiving my emails, I apologize for this confusion.

Anyway, a phone call fixed the problem and a new magazine is on the the way. Better late than never.

Was "in shipping" for at least 3 weeks, until one of the customer service people I talked to told me it was "waiting for FFL information".

Arrrrrggggg....I'd think an employee meeting would be in order with "FOR HEAVEN SAKES TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY!!!" as the topic.

Please come back after a range session and tell us if things are good.

Back