S&W Victory - Factory vs Volquartsen Barrel 50yd line - In A Ransom Rest

Mr.RevolverGuy

Being an early adopter can be costly. This S&W Victory is one of the first off of the assembly line with a serial number under 1K. Had I known S&W would be coming out with threaded barrel shortly after release, I probably would have waited.

Instead I purchased a threaded Volquartsen barrel because my suppressor was due any day. Over the past few years this pistol has been outstanding. With it's notoriety of being a entry level match grade 22 I thought what better way to test it than with a recently refurbished Ransom Rest. I originally tested indoors from 15 to 20 yards here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-_UV...

I received a bit of criticism for the short distance and having wasted money on the Volquartsen Barrel. Though the stock barrel is very nice there is a reason Smith and Wesson has released their Victory Performance Center versions enhancing this pistols quality even more.

With such a beautiful day I could not waste it getting my honey due list done and decided it was an awesome time to get the ransom rest back out.

To do this right I fired 10 settling shots off target to make sure the pistol in the rest was settled. The things I do for range-fans seems like work but I do enjoy the more technical evaluations the ransom rest affords me.

I have had many request to get the ransom rest back out and will try to do more testing with it because I do enjoy it. The good folks over at Ransom International really knows how to engineer great equipment for us shooters.

What barrel do you prefer?

https://youtu.be/0R4Dy16c2aQ

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the time. You really have to be a bit anal when trying to take quality measurements and it's worth the trouble IMO.

Would you say the ransom rest was worth it?

If you are truly looking to eliminate the human factor Ransom is the only thing I know of that eliminates that. At times the joy of you what referred to as a bit anal about quality I find fascinating and enjoy it :)

I watched the video and to be perfectly honest, neither barrel shot very well at all. I think both of them are abysmal. It's just not a good test if you're using ammo the gun doesn't shoot all that well. I have Volquartzen barrels on some handguns (and rifles too) and I also own a SW Victory. My target semi-auto handguns, including my Victory, will shoot ten shots under an inch out of a Ransom rest with most quality std. velocity ammo. My Victory with good match ammo and the factory barrel will often do right around half an inch at fifty yards. I've owned a good number of target .22's over the last fifty years and the SW Victory I have right now will shoot as good or better than either model 41 I've owned. I like the test you did, but you need to find which ammo each gun likes best (most have a preference for one brand above all others) and then run the test with each gun at fifty yards using the ammo each gun likes best. That would be a better way of seeing which barrel could actually shoot better than the other.

I'm hoping you run the test again using preferred ammo. I like the test, just need to "tweak" it a bit and it should show some interesting results. How about giving it another try and see what happens?

I watched the video and to be perfectly honest, neither barrel shot very well at all. I think both of them are abysmal. It's just not a good test if you're using ammo the gun doesn't shoot all that well.

Kind of what I was thinking - with a scope and rest my MKII or Smith 41 will shoot CCI std. vel. tighter at 50 yards.

Would like to see how the Volquartsen shoots with preferred ammo.

Back