S&W trade-ins...

Danno

I'm looking for a compact pistol for CCW but don't have a lot to spend .I've noticed a couple of S&W Law enforcement trade-ins listed in Shotgun News that might work.They are models 5903 and 6906.What do you think of these models?...reliability,accuracy handling etc.
I have looked at the Kel-Tec models but the quality and reliability seem questionable.I own a Ruger KP95 but find it a little big for CCW.Makarov is a possibility but would prefer something 9mm or larger.The FEG P9 RZ looks interesting,but have not read much about them...Any suggestions?

Get a CZ-75, You can get a brand new one for $300-400 and they are much nicer than the S&W and brand new too. CZ-USA has very good customer service too. Extremely accurate and reliable and they fit you hand well. They are roughly the same size as the 59 series. The steel framed ones are heavier, but their is an alloy framed decocker equiped one available too which weighs about 26 ounces. A dealer here said I could get the PCR (alloy frame decocker) for $420 and you can find the for $309 in the shotgun news for the military overun models.

Check out the CZ-USA web site at: http://www.cz-usa.com

They also have the best feeling grip bar none in my not so humble opion. Try to feel one somewhere and you will be convinced.

The 5903 is more of a full-size, while the 6906 is a medium frame. Both are reliable pistols, but I am leary of any LE trade-ins, just because police are notorious for lackluster maintenance of their guns. Perhaps the distributor would agree to a 3-day inspection period?

You must ask yourself if you will be able and willing to tote the full-size pistol around with you daily. If not, I think that the Maks are hard to beat for value, though certainly less potent than the 9mm. You can buy the gun, and a case of ammmo for less than the price of the trade-in.

Do you have much experience with handguns, and pistols in particular? If not, than I am of the old-school that suggests you begin with a revolver. A thread search under General for "first time", "beginner" etc. will turn up much advice.

I have a police trade-in 4506. I looked at a couple at the store, and picked this one. It had not been fired very much, and didn't appear to have been cleaned at all, except the bore.

It cleaned up easily and well, is accurate, reliable, and is definitely pre-sellout.

Back