S&W Third Generation Semi-Autos

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterGunn

It seems that the least dicussed weapon in the forum is the Smith third generation autos. What is the general concensus on these weaons and should I hang on to my 5906 or should I deep six it?

------------------
"By His stripes we are healed..."

PeterGunn

I've had a 5904 since they first came out and like it bunches. Have replaced it with a Beretta 9mm as that's what I use at work, but the S&W is in the safe and ready to go. I will never part with the 5904 as it's a excelent weapon, just replaced with somthing I use daily for the sake of familraty.

I have had a 5904 for years and would never part with it. It has been 100% reliable, accurate, and a pleasure to shoot. I also own a Glock and a Sig and I would, personaly, rate the S&W right up there with them. These pistols definitely do not get the respect that they deserve. They have served the LE community valiantly for years. I think the sigma has tarnished the whole S&W semi-auto name. A shame and totally unfair.

Personally I'd hang on to the 5906. S&W makes Third Generation autos in a couple of quality ranges, but the 5906 is top-of-the-line and well worth keeping.

If it works for you, and you like it, why deep six it? It's not the opinons of others like myself which counts but yours. Besides, whose life are you saving anyway?

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I am not saying I would Deep-six the 5906 if the folks in here said so. All I'm looking for is a discussion on S&W 3rg gen autos. It seems that everybody is recommending the H&K, glock, baretta, kahr, etc., etc. I personally believe the 3rd gen Smiths are just as good as those other weapons mentioned, yet nobody says boo either way.

Just wanted to hear what people have to say on the matter, but i know people must give philosphoical reasons why they won't participate in a simple discussion. But thanks anyway...

------------------

PeterGunn

The Third Generation Smith autoloaders are fine firearms. Generally, this question brings out some interesting comments, and unfortunately there are lots of folks that ping on the S&W because of what they heard from a friend of a friend of a friend, etc. Smith was one of the first to provide a double stack, double action autoloader (first generation - back in the 60's), and experienced some problems that have been published. Since then, they cannot seem to get a break in the Gun Magazine world, so you rarely hear anything at all, but when you do, it is not flattering. In the late 80's, they got very prolific, making different configurations of almost all of their models (DA, DAO, decocker versions, etc). The dealer world did not like having to keep up with the different versions, and this period became known as the "gun of the week" period of Smith's history. There was a lot of negative grousing about this program, but it was from the dealer community, not from a lack of quality standpoint. Today, I get a kick out of folks badmouthing Smith, generally it is in defense of their selection of another of the wonder guns (Glocks, HK's, Sig's, etc.) If you like your Smith, keep it and enjoy it. If it works for you, that pretty much says it all, right? The Third Generation line has enhancements and changes that the first and second generation lines did not have. It's called progress. I think they have done a good job. Sorry for the long winded response, but as you can tell, I like the current autoloader products from S&W, have or have owned several dozen. Also, I work at an indoor range/gunshop, and have had the pleasure of selling lots of Smiths to my customers. If they were a problem, I wouldn't still be selling them. They work. Enjoy. ......SmithNut

[This message has been edited by SmithNut (edited August 30, 1999).]

Thanks for the responces guys, I just wanted to get a feel for smith from other wise or wiser folk out there.

If I am not mistaken, the Browning Hi-power was the first to employ a double stack mag. The Smith 59 was the first to employ a double stack mag with a DA.

------------------

PeterGunn

I carry a 4006 on duty. I absolutely hated it at first. It took well over six months to even get consistent with it. It has started to grow on me, but I still don't like the weight of it, especially for a duty gun.

Mine has been reliable. I've had two malfunctinos, but one was definately my fault. I don't know what caused the other one. However, in my academy class, there were quite a few of them that had to be replaced. One of them even went into full auto mode.

I guess that they are pretty good guns. I would buy a Tactical model if they made one with a 4" bbl.

[This message has been edited by legacy38 (edited August 31, 1999).]

I recently bought a S&W CS9. Nice gun - compact, fairly light and reasonably accurate. The more I shoot it the better it gets. I've had one jam in the first 25 rounds with none since - 500+. I know my local gunshop sells quite a few S&W's and he and his gunsmith have nothing but praise for them. One other point - my wife loves shooting the CS9 with it's factory Hogue grips. Many other brands, including Glocks, hurts her hand.

Doug

I bought a used 5906 at a gun show a couple of months ago. It is in its original box and looks brand new. It was made before Sept. '94 so it came with two "full" capacity magazines and I bought a Pachmayr 15 rounder to go with them. I imagine it was traded for something smaller and lighter.

Even though I didn't spend as much for it as I did my H&K's, etc., I am just as proud of it and I have no plans to sell it or trade it. Its appearance is aesthetically pleasing to me, even fits my small hands well and is pleasant to shoot.

Not an early model, but purchased just after they started selling them with the Novaks.
No malfunctions with factory mags.
Some pitting on frame on front of grip.
Good double action pull, terrible single action pull.

------------------
“The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals. ... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of.” -Alexander Addison, 1789

I love the feel of the 5906. I just wish S&W would make a gun the same size as the 5906 but with the TSW alloy frame to cut down on the weight. I know they make a blued 4" bbl with an alloy frame, but it has the straight backstrap.

The fully stainless steel guns just get terribly heavy after a full day of carry.

The last years I worked for the sheriff's department, I carried a 5906 for four years and a 6906 for two. Both were very reliable pistols. If you run into any feed problems, first clean your magazines.
BTW, I still have my own personal 6906. I intend to hang on to it.

I love my 5906 but my wife loves it more, so it's hers now. After thousands of rounds, no malfunctions. Superb fit and finish. I could go on and on. My only complaint is the size and weight. I went with Sig for a carry gun because I didn't want a safety and the P229 feels a little better for me. The trigger on the 5906 is actually a little better than the P229.

Overall, I think the Smiths are excellent. I think putting a 3rd gen Smith down is alot like putting BMW down because they may not be as good as Mercedes. CJ

I own a S&W 909, and love it. I am not saying it is a perfect pistol but it is great for me. I have not had any FTF's or any other kind of malfunction. Accuracy is a lot better than I expected. I shot a 7, 15 and 25 yd. qualification course with it and did great. Would have scored a perfect if I hadn't put 5 shots into the B-27 target in the next lane(got confused during target acquisition from behind a barricaded position in the kneeling position).

Train and shoot your S&W 5906 as much as you can. If you carry it concealed with you, practise drawing it from a holster. Only then can you give the ultimate judgement on its tactical worthiness. The gun will do if you will. Sound familiar? Oh, by the way, I love S&W autos, especially the 4506!

I have a 3953 and a 5906. The former is a carry piece and the latter a night stand gun. Did some work on the pull, using Power series II stoning fixture. The result was acceptable accuracy at 50 yards. Then I rechambered both to 9X21. Good grief!! The groups shrunk. The 9X21 has just enough extra water capacity with Hornady XTP's to keep pressures in check while souping it up to +P+ and so on. On my South American HP the same accuracy change was noted.
The importers of European pistols have a much better sales and marketing staff than S&W. Certain kinds of solvents will dissolve polymers. No thanks; I'll keep my 3rd gen. Smiths.

I own a 457 that has been tuned by Novak, including night sights. After this treatment, I hav retired my Commander as a carry gun. I am very pleased with his work.
He managed to give me less than 2" groups offhand at 15 yards, which is good enough for my purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back