S&W The Twelve Revolvers

mrray13

Got an opportunity to purchase a nib 17-6 The Revolver from the Twelve Revolver collection. This one is part of the set 234, with box and goodies, $1200.

He’s turned down $1355 on GB, but after some brief research, this really isn’t anything special.

My question is, is a nickel 17 really worth north of $1k? I’ve got a 6” blue 17-4 that my son wants, other than some holster wear around the muzzle, it’s in great condition, and the value isn’t near $1200, so where’s the extra value, or am I missing something?

That's part of a limited edition commemorative set. They only made 500 of the sets. Each gun has some special engraving on it and all the guns in each of the sets has matching serial numbers.

I would think that selling it as a single gun instead of as part of the set reduces its value somewhat, but it's still sort of an unusual piece.

I wouldn't use the value of a gun out of a limited edition commemorative set with special features to determine the value of a standard Model 17.

JohnKSa, after some research, my understanding is that due to lack of interest, they never completed all of the sets, and one of the biggest issues was the engraving wasn’t really engraving, but rather acid etching. I’ve also read it was laser engraved?

In any case, I’ve seen where complete sets, boxes, the book, schematics, barely pulled more than $1k per gun, set 252 iirc, went for $14k.

Look story short, I’m trying to talk myself into buying it, but just can’t. It’s sorta unique, but not so much so that I just gotta have it.

Most people aren't very enamored with commemorative guns. In many cases they might get a $50 to $100 premium. The engraving on this gun might be more extensive than usual and nickel model 17's are rare, so $1,200 might be OK. Assuming your interested in the "uniqueness" of the gun. FWIW A plain jane NIB model 617 is pushing pretty close to $1,000 anymore.

reddog, there really isn’t anything special about the engraving, “The Revolver” down the barrel, a small scene on the side plate and it’s numbering.

So basically, it’s the nickel finish that makes it sorta desirable?

A nickel model 17 that’s not one of the commemoratives seem to be very desirable, at least that’s what I’m seeing based upon a quick search. Most people seem to think the ones from that series aren’t anything too special.

A $200 premium is peanuts for some but a deal breaker for most….

The 17-6 TWELVE REVOLVELS is a 6" full lug with adjustable rear sight, target hammer target trigger, Target sights, red ramp front front front sight, oversight wood target grips. Not 83/8" Nickel which is I really like.
s

Really nice older m17s & pre 17s bring $1K. That is 17-2 and older. Later guns more in $800 in hi condition. Limited collector type stuff has to be NIB to retain value. If it’s been carried and shot it’s just a used gun, worth less than older model gun in like condition.

Back