S&W Stamped on Brrl .357 but has .38SPL cylinder

dewey

Picked up this pre-27, 6" with SN 'S' 80,xxx that is stamped
with matching nos. on brrl.,cylinder and frame. It is an
N frame for sure. Has the proper tooling on top of brrl and frame with Patridge sight so it's not a .38/44.
Appears to be test fired only. Dated to '50/51.

.38s chamber but ,357s stick out and cylinder can't be closed...Help please....confused again....dewey

Check the chambers closely. There is a good chance the gun has been shot extensively with .38 Spl. ammo. The shorter cases cause a build up of crud at the chamber mouths and on routine inspection looks normal. Try sticking an empty .357 case in the chamber and pushing it all the way in. The front edge of the case will scrape out some of the fouling.I had a model 19 once that was crudded up so bad I had to chuck a .45 cal bore brush in an electric drill to get the gunk out.

[Edited by Grayfox on 12-08-2000 at 08:51 PM]

There is NOTHER in the charge holes and the gun is AS new,
about 99%. The lady who I got a small catch from said her dad got them in the 50s and they never left the house. I can
believe it...Txs....dewey

It's possible. If the bullets are sticking out the back of the cylinder, then it may be dirty. You may no be able to see the carbon, so run a good stiff brush in there and check. If the bullets are sticking out the front of the cylinder then it really is a .38. If it is indeed a .38, I would imaging that it could be worth quite a bit of money as a production mistake.

Dewey-what are the markings on the barrel? Without seeing the gun and/or knowing what the markings are, I can only guess, but...it sounds like you've got a 38\44 "Outdoorsman", the adjustable-sighted version of the old 38\44 "Heavy Duty"...the "Outdoorsman" later became the Model 23, IIRC....mikey357

HEY guys ! This gun IS LIKE NEW ! I scrubbed the charge holes and brrl with brass bore brush when I got it and it appears to have been only fired at the factory.
The gun is a pre-27 for sure. Has the Patridge site and the fine checkering on top of brrl. and strap.
S&W 357 MAGNUM stamped on brrl...Txs all....dewey

Do not fire until you've contacted some S&W collectors. Might be a 'special' gun!!

Dewey is a collector, with a pretty extensive collection...
He was looking for others with knowledge of the guns.

Did S&W make a dual caliber model during that period?

Back