S&W Snubbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorah

Hi, again.

I'm thinking that a snub revolver with internal hammer would make a great pocket gun for carrying in my winter coat. Looking at the Smith and Wesson web site... http://www.smith-wesson.com/sport/index.html
I see that they offer 5 different guns... most of the variances seem to be cosmetic... anyone have particular stories good or bad to tell about any of these guns? This would be a self-defense, daily-carry weapon.

Models: 337, 342, 442, 640, 642.

-Jorah

------------------

Jorah, as I am posting this reply I have a 642 in my front pocket. No one ever notice it (I have it all the time), and I don't even notice the weight (15oz.) I feel totally safe with the internal hammer. If you can't have a full size duty weapon with you , a J-frame is the next best thing.

Get the airweight 38 Special. It stays in your front pocket and nobody can see it. I have the stainless steel 357 but it's so heavy, it almost pulls my pants down, so I don't carry it much.

------------------
Remember: When you attempt to rationalize two inconsistent positions, you risk drowning as your own sewage backs up... Yankee Doodle

I saw one of the Titanium Smith .38's, and man was it light! $500. Recoil may be brutal with +P's.

My favorite would be the 642.

Blackie

As an experiment, I put my wallet where a pocket holster would have to be. Keys had to move to my left, same for whatever else I have in my pockets. Found that my body language got very awkward, so had I actually caarried something, an experienced person could make me easily. Guess it will take time to get used to this.

I just carry the sebenza that TFL members got for me. It isn't much of a weapon *in my hands*, but it is some comfort.

I just bought a model 342 hammerless with the alluminum frame and titanium cylinder. It has quite a kick, but I love the little gun. I carry it everywhere! While at work, I wear a galco ankle holster with my suit, I hated it for about the first 15 minutes or so, but once you've worn it for about an hour, you forget it is even there! I love it now. In the evenings, I alternate between a uncle mikes pocket holster and an inside the waistband holster by bianchi.

You will not be disappointed with the 342. I've had a model 60 j frame for years, but found it way to heavy for pocket carry. But the new 342 only weighs 11.3 oz with the redwood grips and is a dream to carry. If you can afford it, Id go with a 342. (I got mine for $469.00 at a gun show) For pocket carry, I believe it is the lightest .38 on the market.

Good luck!

Sounds like the 342 gets the nod. I'll try to handle each of the .38s before I buy. With that in an IWB or coat pocket and the Ultra Carry in hi-ride behind my hip... cool.

Heck, if you are gonna tote that much metal around, you might as well love the guns, right?

;-)

Thanks for the excellent comments, as always, folks.

-Jorah

I have two J-Frames, one of which is nearly always with me. They are the most useful guns I own. Both of mine are steel framed. I have found that they are not too heavy to carry in jean pockets, provided that a good, heavy belt is used. With slacks they are too heavy. When I wear slacks I normally carry the gun in a Thunderwear pouch. This works well and is comfortable, believe it or not. I have no experience with the alloy frame guns. I reload and shoot alot. Alloy frames are just too light for that and probably too fragile. The steel frame guns shoot very well, despite what some say. At 20 yards I can shoot mine nearly as well as I can my 4 inch model 10 with the same ammo. Beyond that accuracy deteriorates, but not so much that good quality hits can't be achieved.

One thing that I have found is that many people advocate loadind these guns with bullets that are too light. I prefer 158 grain lead SWCs or SWC HPs. They rarely expand, but neither do the lighter bullets as a rule. The light bullets that do expand tend to have alot of exposed lead past the jacket, such as those by Remington, Whinchester, CCI and Federal. They also provide very shallow penetration. Personally, I will not trade an inch of penetration for a millimeter of expansion.

I have an airweight 38 (nickel plated no less - one of the two nickeled guns I own - wasn't my choice but for $200, who can argue?). After carrying a Model 60, I don't notice the airweight. I recommend them highly. Scoot before you shoot though.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

A minor thing, but I much prefer the airweight "Bodyguard" which has SA capability if needed. I mostly practice with mine DA, as the pull is very sweet. Nothing wrong with the Centeniel models, however.

I've got the S&W 642 and I love it! I had a Kahr K9, which was powerful and accurate, but weighed about as much as my .44 mag. When I picked up the 642, I knew immediately that it was a better carry gun for me than the Kahr. It totally disappears in the right front pocket of my Levi's. Trade 8 9mm's for 5 .38's? You betcha. The Smith goes with me everywhere, points naturally and is powerful amd accurate enough for its tactical niche. Drawbacks- only one. A recurring nightmare that I forget to remove the piece from my pocket before my jeans go in the wash!

------------------
semper ubi sub ubi

I've got a 642.

I was wary of titanium finish on the cylinder and the warranty (I'm not 'gentle' with guns) on the 342. My 642 is now scratched up and SW mentions something about the warranty not covering the titanium's coating(??). Also the price difference was about $150. I was also worried about not being able to shoot lead in a 342.

Comparing the two by feel, I couldn't tell much difference in the weight.

The 642 has 900rds trough it and is holding up well. The trigger or my finger has also improved immensely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back