S&W sight mystery

Breachloader

Hey.
I've been trying to chase down a definite answer for this.
Is there a difference in adjustment between old style revolver sights (square front) and new style (round front) ???

I have a 4" 17-4 and a 6" 617-6 in 22lr. As well as 4" 686 in 357.
Do these all have the same adjustment? And if so what is it.
1 click of elevation = .25" or .5" or 1" @25m

Anybody know for sure?

Last edited:
Nothing is for sure ... Ammo used - bullet weight and velocity , makes a difference ... length of barrel makes a difference ,
... distance to target makes a difference , even the sight's screw threads make a difference .
You will need to shoot a couple rounds , benched carefully , make a click or two and see what that does ... I write down all the information / details , as best I can ... so next time I have some idea of what the clicks equal to .

If someone says each click equals 1/4" of elevation ... don't bet the farm on it !
Gary

while i totally agree that click per click claims and actual don't always match.

however; an adjustment in line of sight verses bore axis, is exactly that. it is an angular adjustment either (suposedly) calibrated in minutes of angle or mili-radians or some inches per yardage... they are all just angular adjustments. and as such (should) move the point of impact the given amount, reguardless of speed of projectile. one inch is one inch no mater how long it takes to get there.

as per the OP question; sorry, i'm a long gun guy and don't have a clue about pistol sights. other than how to use them.

george, you did well.

as M14/M1A rifle shooters know, you have battle sights and nm sights.
difference is as we all know, how far does it move per click.
so same applies to the pistol.
a call to the mfg'r might be a good start. some sights on some guns may be (1/2 click) or (1/4 click). and you should ask what yardage was it set to.
for some reason my old brain tells me i learned that the gun is calibrated at a certain yardage and based on that yardage, the moa is recorded to be (a bullet diameter or 1/2 a bullets diameter, etc,) at said distance.
as was suggested.....time to spend a day at the range with a pad of paper and a scope!
this discussion brings back memories of spending time on a radsom rest long ago!
i use to know the geometric equation to resolve X for that...but like everything else, im back to counting my toes these days.
hope this helps.

All adjustable S&W revolver sights move 3/16" in elevation at 25 yards and 1/8" in windage at 25 yards, square or round front sight.
The sights are the same for all barrel lengths, so there will be a small difference depending on the barrel length you have.

Much appreciated jcj54.

I plan to hit the range this weekend with a ransom rest.
Will verify zero at 25yrds. Move the elevation 3 or 4 inches. Document the exact number of clicks. Shoot away like mad (in a super controlled manner that is) and measure the groups new location in relation to the first zero group and hope it's moved the exact 3 or 4 inches intended.
Will report back with results.

Back