S&W semi-auto's accurate or not?

Gremlin

I took a chance and bought a buddy's slightly used Smith & Wesson 5904 9mm. It looked nice and the price was right.

Took it to the range with a couple boxes of cheap ammo and while the pistol was reliable, it wasn't all that accurate out beyond 20 feet. It wouldn't hold 5" groups at 10 yards.

I usually shoot substantially better than that with my 9mm Sig, CZ, and Walther.

What's your experience? It functioned well, however, the trigger pull is a little strong, but since the gun hasn't had 400 rounds run through it in it's life, I figure that will change over time. Should I just chalk it up to the Remington UMC FMJ's or should I have done my homework before hand and found out some well kept secret that Smith's don't shoot straight?

Lemme know...

I shooting with SW semiautos, I've encountered several that were accurate...but several of the same models that were so inaccurate I was hard-pressed to believe my eyes. 2206 which gave 4" at 21ft! 4506 which did a 5" at 21ft -- worse than a Hi-point. Then again, several others would cut a single hole in the bullseye.

I've owned well over a dozen Smith centerfire autos over the years. Only ONE was not what I felt was accurate (under 3" at 25yds.). That was a Value Line 908 which I sold. Truthfully, I'm surprised to see a few others speak of an inaccurate Smith pistol. Gripes w/triggers, actions, safeties, weight etc., yes; but, not accuracy.

The Performance Center guns are. The 945 is something to behold, watching an experienced shooter work with it, as is the 5906 PC gun.
Regular production pistols, some are and some are not. I know mine is after shooting it and finding the ammo it likes for accuracy: match ammo. That will hold the ten ring, other than that duty ammo will go out into the nine ring. I have shot guns better though.

[Edited by fed168 on 03-11-2001 at 10:30 PM]

It depends on the model. As stated the 945 is as accurate as they come. So is my model 52. Overall I would have to say the standard models are no better or worse than Glocks, Sigs, etc.

S&W Autos accuracy

My first 39-2 (first generation Smith auto) was a tackdriver with its preferred ammo. I replaced it with a 4006, and that is slightly worse in the accuracy department (2-1/2 - 3" at 25yds) I have since picked up another 39-2 and its accuracy is even better than the first. (2" even at 25yds). All guns are ammo specific. My first 39 preferred PMC 115gr, the second 39-2 prefers Rem/UMC and the 4006 prefers Win/USA. Just try a box of every ammo you can find and I'm sure you'll find a better performing load.

Have no idea about the INHERENT accuracy of Smith autos because I could never get past the HORRIBLE DA trigger pull on them.

The only S&W auto I have ever owned, and probably the only one I ever will own (unless I find a deal on a Model 41) is my 1961-vintage Model 52 in .38 Special. Some days it's the only pistol I'll take to the range. (Single-action trigger, breaks like the proverbial glass rod) The new Model 952 looks promising, but it's priced way up there, more than the Model 52-2 was when it was discontinued. I had considered the earlier single-action Model 745, but built a Caspian Officer's ACP instead.

Hey, if the 5904 is anything like my 945 as far as accuracy, then there is no question that it should be a good gun. I know S&W has a lifetime warranty on the PC guns so I would send it back and have them check it out. The only thing I don't remember is if the warranty applies to the original owner or not.

-Red-

My 4506-1 is combat accurate. Its no tackdriver, but if any escape from the black (at realistic ranges) I know I can't blame the gun.

Mike

My experience with S&W auto pistols is limited to two model 3913 from about 10 years ago and they were both very accurate. Both would do less than 2" at 25 yards with good ammo. My father had a model 59 from about 1974 which would only do 6" at 25 yards with good ammo on a good day while his model 4516 (compact 45ACP) from about 1990 will also do about 2" at 25 yards. Maybe compact S&W auto pistols are more accurate than full size models?

I've owned 5 ...

and accuracy has been very gun-specific. I consider 2 - 3 inches at 25 yds. to be quite good for them.

I just tested a a 4046 .40 that put 11 shots into 2" at 15 yds. Another one I shot did 3.5" the same day. And my 4506 was not really that accurate either, doing about 4" at 15 yards. But my CS45 did about 2.5" at 15 yds.

I had a 5906 that would do under 2" at 25 yds. all day long.

The moral of the story is, they are sturdy, reliable guns, but expecting much accuracy out of them is kind of futile because all but the DAO guns had horrible, heavy triggers on them. In fact, in each case that's why I got rid of them, the hopeless triggers would never allow adequate offhand accuracy. I still have the 4046's and will play with them some more, but they don't seem a whole lot easier to hit with, so I'll probably let them go as well.

I swear, I think I'm gonna swear off anything with a magazine safety entirely.

I have a S&W 59 i bought new in 1980 and a new 915 i picked up a couple of years ago from a buddy. they both shoot straight for me no complaints.

Back