S&W Question

BigG

I just read about a S&W Model 25 and realized that they used to make a gun called a "1955 Target," IIRC. Similarly, they made a "44 Magnum," which we always referred to as Model 29. Same thing with .357 Combat Magnum, IIRC we called Model 19 - but all of the guns had a NAME at that time.

What I want to know is what date did S&W do away with the NAMES and substitute the NUMBERS? (A stupid thing to do, imho).

Thanks for your input in advance. :)

And they never really fully did away with the names.

You'll find advertising from the 1970s and 1980s referencing the Model 19 Combat Magnum, or the Model 15 Combat Masterpiece, or the Model 10 Military & Police.

Even the stainless guns are occasionally referenced as the Stainless Combat Magnum, etc.

The L-frames 586/686 were introduced as the "Distinguished Combat Magnum" probably because they expected their weight to make them popular for PPC Distinguished matches (I had been shooting a Python for that reason for some time by then.) Didn't stick, did it?

They downplayed the names like "combat magnum" so they would appear to be non-violent and PC. Probably another silly Brit idea, but it may go back further. The model numbering goes back to 1958, but they kept the names until fairly recently. Most of us old timers don't do model numbers for the older guns. Don't talk Model 15; tell me it is a Combat Masterpiece and I will know what you are talking about.

Jim

I believe that Smith & Wesson went to the model numbers in the 1956-57 era. I have a catalog, from 1961, and they use both model number and name.

Model numbers on the gun initiated in 1957. Guns manufactured prior to 1957 should not have model number on the yoke cut out.

Dash numbers behind model number on gun started same time.

Sam

Some sources say 1958 for the switch to model numbers, but the fact is they seem to have phased numbering in over a period of time, so there is no sharp cut off date.

Jim

Back