S&W Price Check

Bods Oddkin

I usually buy older S&W revolvers (my latest purchase is an 1896 .32 Hand Ejector), so I need some input on a newer gun. It's a .45 Colt 625-7, three inch barrel, serial number in the CDBXXXX range (1999?), laminated wood grips, absolutely excellent condition with box. What price range should we be looking at? What are the drawbacks (if any) to the newer Smiths with frame mounted firing pins? Are there any other qualities about later model revolvers I should consider before entering into negotiations? (Other than the "Agreement" I mean.) Thanks.

NIB price range is in the 500 OTD category. Used as you describe 375-400. Usual disclaimers apply. No drawbacks I know of to frame mounted firing pins.

Frame mounted firing pin can bind the cylinder if loaded with crud or the return spring fails.

Frame mounted firing pin requires heavier hammer spring to reliably set off the primer.

Check the timing of each chamber carefully. Also use good light and check the bore for a ring inside even with the barrel/frame interface. If there is a ring there, barrel was overtorqued.

Check the chamber mouths for undersize....and all alike. Quick n dirty check is to see if a jacketed bullet will enter from the front. Should go all the way to the case.

I have found all of the above faults in late production stainless guns. On a few occaisions, all of em in the same gun.

More on general revolver check out in Jim March's thread here.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57816

My 1903 pattern .32 would like to date your 1896 .32.

Sam

Back