S&W Pre Model 10

tacstar

Inactive
I was wondering if the fact that a pistol is fitted with a barrel from a later model affects its value. I have a Pre Model 10 which at some point had its original barrel replaced with 3" barrel from a Model 36.

Well, a few things to consider. The K-frame S&W .38 Special is the one model of which more were made than any other in man's history. A fantastic revolver but if it doesn't happen to have odd (ORIGINAL) features and also in extremely fine condition, it's just another low-priced great shooting gun and doesn't have any high value anyway.

That you have one that is altered (not a factory option) means yes, probably otherwise worth "less" but not so much that it matters a whole lot.

I have never experimented with changing S&W revolver barrels but what you described is actually a J-frame barrel on a K-frame revolver. Is that even possible?

Mine is all original and in good mechanical condition. The finish is worn, but I just bought it as a shooter. Since I paid about $200 OTD for it just a few years ago, I'm guessing a re-barreled one is unlikely to be worth much more than that.

Uhm...

The M&P is a K frame, the Model 36 is a J frame. I don't believe that they use the same barrel shank dimensions, so I'm not sure how that would work. You sure that it has a J frame barrel on it?

Value wise, unless the M&P was a really mint gun, or was for some other reason really collectible, it's value is really in being a user handgun. I'd not think that its overall value would be affected that dramatically.

The M&P is S&W most produced model , unless it's in high condition , original preferably with original stocks , box , tools & papers its collectible value aint much . For shooter grade gun value is what someone is willing to pay . Some of the later Model 10's did come with 3" barrels & are somewhat desirable for a carry gun . If it's a 1905 model pre war none came with 3" & original 2" guns are quite desirable .

"...affects its value..." Does if it's a collector grade piece to start with. Not all old stuff is collectable.
The M&P is absolutely not a collector piece unless you have some provenance regarding its usage like a foreign acceptance stamp. Or it has some odd factory feature.
"...Model 10's did come with..." 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6" with some 2.5" barrels made for contracts.
"...barrel shank dimensions..." The K's shank thread OD is 40 thou bigger than a J. A J barrel will not fit on a K frame.
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Smith & Wesson J, K, L and N-frame Comparisons.htm

1. I don't think a J frame barrel will fit a K frame.

2. Did you really ask if a replacement barrel hurts collector value? Really? You asked that?

...."Pre Model 10 which ... had its original barrel replaced with 3" barrel from a Model 36."

Are you sure? I suspect the barrel is an original 2 1/2" K frame barrel, a fairly common setup with plain clothes and off duty police in the old days, since it is the shortest barrel that can use a near full length ejector rod.

Jim

An M10, post or pre, is a solid fighting wheelgun. Even today they are useful as a backup gun or for concealed carry with a 2" barrel.

Back