S&W performance center models?

Sling Shot

I was looking at some Smith&Wesson revolvers that were for sale and ran across a F-comp with a three inch barrel in stainless. Does anybody know what the F stands for and what frame it would be on? Also, I like the 586 L-comp that Smith&Wesson has on the performance center web site. I do not have their perfomance center catalog, and I was just wondering if they offer a 686 L-comp? The reaon I ask is because I do not want one that has been blued because I much prefer one in stainless.
Sling Shot

My understanding is that the F-comp is a stainless 686 version of the L-comp 586 - 7 shot L frames with the single large port ahead of the front sight.

Thanks Chris. I wonder why they used the F designation?
Ok, somebody do me a favor and check their catalog, and see if there is a 686 L-comp offered by the Smith&Wesson performance center.
Thanks, Sling Shot

The F comp is a .....

The F Comp is the Model 66 Stainless version of the blued K Comp (Model 19). The F is actually the internal factory designation for the medium sized stainless frame. The carbon steel medium frame is the K frame we all know.
Even though we normally use J,K,L or N, there are alternates to these for the stainless counterparts. J is the carbon steel small frame, E is the stainless version of the small frame. As mentioned above, K is med. carbon, F is med. steel. Next up is the L frame - L is carbon, H is the Stainless version. Last is the large frame, N is carbon material, G is the same frame in stainless. These are normally only used in the factory, but the use of the F in F Comp exposed this nomenclature to model designations.
Here is a picture of the K Comp(Blue) and F Comp (stainless) models.
View

Enjoy. ......SmithNut

The M686 is called the .....

Even thougn the M586 is called the LComp, the original 3" M686 was called the MagComp, although I have seen some Lew Horton literature refer to it as a Carry Comp as well. This piece was made in both 6 shot and 7 shot versions (the 7 shot had night sights front and back). Here is a picture of a M686 Carry Comp (top) and M586 L Comp (Center)
View

......SmithNut

Did I just get an education or what!! SmithNut, thanks for clearing this matter up for me, and may I add that you have a beautiful collection of revolvers.
Sling Shot

Back