S&W Performance Center 40 S&W Revolver

A friend of mine used one to win the SSR division of the 2000 Florida State IDPA Championship. Pretty cool revolver.

Very Cool revolver, accurate, but it's not perfect. The use of titanium in the cylinder, on this application, has created physics that no one ever anticipated. For some reason, unknown, the gun is very sensitive to powder types and speeds. You can tell immediately if a powder/bullet combination does not work. The cases stick to the chambers like glue. It simulates a very high pressure load, even though you may be shooting a starting load level. I've been playing with this phenomenon for weeks now. Posted some of my finding on another forum. Guys with these guns are coming forward from all over that are experiencing the same problem.

Robert

Hello Robert,
Still having that sticky problem?

My 646 is accurate and I like to shoot it, but I'm having an occasional problem with the fresh cartridges hanging up while trying to do a speed re-load in a match. The cases tilt a little too much in the clips and bind up.
Neil Casper

Cat

Figured it out. I just want it to work with all loads. Was to going to shoot some more test loads today, but have to work a gun show with some friends this weekend. Got a number of good and accurate loads already, that won't hang up, but my favorites will not work.

Robert

Interesting!

What powders avoid the sticking problems?

Where did you post your problems with the gun?

What distributor is selling it and what do they cost?

These revolvers were being discussed on the S&W Forum.

http://www.smith-wessonforum.com/cgi-bin/sandwcgi/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro

In the revolver section.

I use Scot Solo 1000 powder for almost all of my handgun loads. It's very similar to Bullseye in burning rate, but it burns cleaner in everything I've used it in. I seldom load full power loads in this revo. I use Federal brass and primers and usually push a Berry's 155 grain plated TC, about 950-1000.
This works for IDPA and general all round shooting.
If I wanted to kill elephants I'd use a BIG cannon.

I'm not sure who handles them now. They come from the S&W Performance Center and are somewhat pricey. I paid dealer price for mine and it cost about $700 with tax and shipping.

Try: http://www.moonclips.com/

Neil Casper

The 646PC is being distributed by Lew Horton or RSR, just can't remember off the top of my head right now. Cost is about $630, so expect to pay low to mid seven. Certainly anything over $800 is a fishing expedition.

Robert

CAT,

Clips are very sensitive to brand of brass as the depth and width of the cut where the rounds are held is not standard. Brass which has a cut too shallow or narrow will warp the clips. Lack of care in removing fired brass from the clips will cause them to become bent. Try Federal, but preferably R-P or Starline brass. I have had problems with some Federal and Winchester is VERY bad.

Guy,
Almost all of my .40 S&W brass is Federal.

Ken,
Two guys I work with bought 646 revolvers at the same time I did. We found a clip maker that gave us a price of $225 plus S&H for 100 clips. That was the best price that I could find. As soon as I find the paperwork I'll let you know where we got them.

Neil Casper

Back