S&W perfected model double action question...

what is this ??? sorry about such a basic question, but it "looks" like the latch to swing out the cylinder, but this is a top break revolver, not a hand ejector... a safety ??? a hammer block ??? extra top break latch ??? thanks

attachment.php

Attachments

• S&W perfected model double action latch.jpg
    S&W perfected model double action latch.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 126
That is why they call it the "Perfected" much like in todays world an answer to a perceived problem. You must activate the cylinder release along with the top strap release to open the action. Also this is the first SW with the trigger guard intregal to the frame rather than a seperate part.

Popular legend has it that SW came up with this design in responce to complaints that a really quick bad guy could reach over the top of the gun and release the top latch therefore disabling your gun and dumping the load out before the good guy could fire. Lets see, I did say a really fast bad guy right. Produced from 1909 to 1920.

Thanks for the reply... so... that latch is pushed forward along with the top latch worked to open the gun ... is this a "stronger" design than the top latch alone ???

I like guns of this era, & have begun collecting them... ( shooting with light trailboss loads & round balls ) I have a couple "squeezers" but am not partial to shooting them in comparision to some of the other guns without the grip safety... & since I shoot mostly paper with them, I have been looking at old S&W hammer guns, so this model has caught my eye because of the exposed hammer... the extra latch really had me puzzled... thanks...

"is this a "stronger" design than the top latch alone ???"

No, not really. As Mike says, it was done to prevent someone from popping the gun open by grabbing the top latch.

The idea of some bad guy (aka, "The Latch Snatcher") actually unlocking the good guy's gun in close combat seems far fetched, but if it was not a real occurrence, it was at least a real fear. Remember that Schofield redesigned the latch on the big S&W revolver for the same reason.

Jim (not Mike)

Back