S&w Pc627

Herb Leventhal

Will Beararms:
I took my S&W Performance Center V Comp 627 out to the range anf fired 200 rounds of 357 handloads. That piece fired flawlessly. The ratchet mechanism, trigger, hammer are so smooth. It is a real pleasure to shoot that gun
Herb:)

Hello Herb,

Does your Performance Center Revolver have the MIM trigger and hammer?

Does it have the key-hole (for the integral locking device) near the cylinder-release thumb-piece?

Does it have the frame-mounted firing pin?

Got a picture of the gun? Not quite sure which 357 this is.

If you put thousands and thousands of cast bullets through one of the PC guns it is a good idea to take the cylinder out occasionally and give it a good cleaning. Other wise they will eventually start to bind up. Cleaning out the cylinders is also a good idea. That should be done a bit more often or the fired cases will stick.

S&W 627PC

Mark IV Series 80
Hi I have one of those too! Colt Goldcup, excellent piece.
I must have been asleep when I purchased my 627. I don't even know what the M hammer is? Please enlighten me. It does not have the intergral locking system but does have the frame mounted firing pin as do all of the recent smiths I've seen in the gunshop. Please post me back with any information you might have.
Herb:)

Herb,

MIM (Metal Injection Molding) is process where a very fine metal powder, combined with binder material, is injected into a die. Part is ejected, the binder is melted or dissolved, and vacuum sintered, resulting in a part 94-99% of theoretical density.

http://www.metalbot.com/inject.html

http://www.injectamax.com/basics.htm
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does your PC627 have an 8-shot cylinder?

S&W 627 PC

Mark IV:
My 627 has the 8 round, recessed, beveled chambers for use with moon clips. I assume the purpase of MIM is to create a very strong piece of metal?? or is there another reason?
Herb

The modern process makes for a stronger gun and even though the process is less expensive, it is an enhancement. Same process both Ruger and Taurus use.

Gabriel

Mr. Leventhal,

is that only for blued guns?

Probably not.

Of all the stainless *&* wheelguns in the house, none have stainless hammers/triggers.

686, 686-3 and 625-4 (dates of manufacture ranging from very early '80's to 1994) all have flash-chromed carbon steel hammers and triggers.

625-6 Mountain Gun (circa '96) has case-colored carbon steel parts.

MIM....process is capable of producing excellent product. Execution is the key. Can also be used to turn out junk rapidly.

Same with CNC machining. If the design is good and the machine is run by a machinist.....the product will be good. If the design is flawed or the machine is run by an "operator", easy to turn out lots of junk.

Sam

Back