S&W PC 627 in 2.625 v 5" for concealed carry

GaryWWhite

Inactive
Hi Folks,

I really did not think I would be revisiting this forum noting I have posted nothing since Feb 2016! I am really getting the urge to get one of the above two revolvers and carrying it for EDC. I really like the look of the 2.625" model for its obvious concealabiilty factor but am concerned that it loses over 200 fps compared to its big brother. I live in Missouri where we have open carry, no CCW permit you have to get (unless you go to a different state), no force of law in carrying in most restricted areas, etc. Pretty much a loosy, goosy state as is Kansas where my town Lees Summit borders. What Im trying to get at is the printing aspect can pretty much be ignored especially if you have a CCW which I do both in Missouri and in Virginia (where son lives). I am considering a good cross draw holder for comfortable seating in a car and access. I have the greatest fear in being carjacked in our lovely main city (Kansas City and its high crime rate). I think I would like the 5" for its extra punch and less of a fireball. I have been carrying 5" 1911's and do this comfortably. I have been thinking that a .357 in 125gr at 1500 fps would be a better life taker than my 1911's. I was hoping for your input on this and good recommendation for a cross draw holster. Thanks in advance for all your help!
Gary:)

The 5” is a bit big.

I have a Lobo leather pancake holster that works but my 586 L comp is my preferred revolver.

Of your two the Snubby will be better but you need practice, if you’ve never shot it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is your decision as to what you are best to carry with and how you do it.

I will share my personal thinking, and it may not be worth a hoot to you. (no offense intended) I prefer concealed carry and I have to pay extra for this right in Alabama; although I can open carry without a charge or permit. I believe concealed carry allows one to be more of a surprise to a threat. It also prevents me from being a target for someone wanting to getting a jump on me in order take an openly visible firearm. I like moving around without looks and or others possibly being uncomfortable by my open carry. You hardly see it at all in my home vicinity.

I do not think the lack of velocity you mentioned is going to be a major factor if you choosing to carry it loaded with .357 Magnum. The N Size revolver we are discussing is a relatively large firearm. You maybe a much larger man than I am, but there are none of the numerous N size revolver I own that would be comfortable for me carry.

I do often carry my Model 66-2 with a 2 & 1/2" barrel. It is a good size for me and also easily concealed. I don't believe if I do my job that it will fail me in handling a threat.

I had carried my 627 on occasion in the past, but the thing is pretty heavy and bulky. Have you considered 357 Sig? From a semi with a 4" barrel, one can get almost 700 ft lbs using Grizzly 90gr.

Hey guys, I'm 6'3"\260lbs. I'm in the mood to acquire a good .357 as an ex-LEO during the early 80's I always carried a revolver. I find after all these years I'm attracted to the revolver in that I always shot it better and seemed more confident with it. I got on the bandwagon with everybody else when everyone seemed to move to semi's. I really think I need to get back to my roots and get me this revolver. I think I'm going to get a custom holster and carry it cross draw under a jacket\coat in winter and a vest in summer. I'll be 68 in May and want to give myself this as a birthday present!

I have both the 2 5/8" and the 5" model 627's....perf center models. I carry IWB and even though I'm 6' 5" and 290....carrying the 5" IWB .is just too long/ carrying OWB would be easier but I would still go with a 4" as a better option - or the 2 5/8"...

Carrying the 2 5/8" is easy / I use Kramer leather with a forward FBI tilt on my strong side at 4 o'clock ( I'm in my late 60's too )...but I don't like crossdraw rigs.

Balistically...I think the 8 shot is plenty of gun at tactical distances...when I carry it, I carry 158gr Buffalo Bore JHP.

( I reload & practice with a 158gr JHP bullet from Montana Gold ...at around 1250 fps...).

Last edited:

wpC3eM.jpg

My 627 takes about the same footprint as my 1911 and is only a tad thicker and holds 8 rounds in moon clips. I carry OWB in a high pancake holster. It is a little big for speedo carry.

I love my 627 PC. I pocket carry it. Yes I know it's an N frame but with deep pockets it fits fine. I doubt I could get te 5 inch model in my pockets. Very well made guns both I them

Back